We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

We will be staying Cotswolds for a week. We plan to visit many gardens such as

(1) Hidcote Manor Garden,

(2) Kiftsgate Court Garden,

(3) Bourton House Garden,

(4) Mill Dene Garden,

(5) Sudeley Castle & Gardens,

(7) Hadspen Garden & Nursery,

and

(8) Blenheim Palace

(9) Shakespear's place in Stratford upon Avon.

The internet site of 'Great British Heritage Pass' does not seem to be kind enough for the use of this Pass in Cotswold area. So I wonder if this pass is advantageous to visit above gardens as well as other Cotswold attractions? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Here is a list of the 2009 sites from the BHP site

visitbritaindirect.com/en-GB/…GBHP09.pdf

All but 3 of your sites are listed. Have not used the pass myself because UK residents are not allowed to buy it. However, reports do say that for visits to places outside of London it is good value. If you search TA you will find several such reports.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=15&geo=186216&scope=2&q=British+Heritage+Pass&returnTo=%2FShowForum-g186216-i15-United_Kingdom.html&x=21&y=7

One of the advantages is that you can pop into places you might not have considered in order to see what they are like because it costs you nothing extra to do so.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

modemUK,

Thanks for your advise.

The list is alphabetical order in ALL Great Britain. I am only visiting Cotswold area. And I do not know which one is in Cotswold. Time consuming effort to sort them out.

Moreover, I found the 'selling stations' are very limited. They do not sell at Heathrow nor at Oxford. Not at Blenheim, either. What an extraordinary business! I love this bureaucracy!

Anyway, I am on a plane tomorrow.

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

The easiest/quickest way is to look at a site like this one,

www.cotswolds.info/gardens/gardens.shtml

and compare it with the BHP list.

I agree that it would make sense, and help with planning, to have the sights etc in geographical groups. I think that most people buy the pass before they leave home, it is then validated at the first place they visit.

Have a good holiday.

The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Hi, looking at your list, it may be useful for you to realise Hidcote Gardens & Kiftsgate Gardens are within walking distance of one another. - Hidcote (National Trust - entrance adult £9) - Neither Hidcote nor Kiftsgate are currently open on a Thursday or Friday.

- Nearest cotswold village/town would probably be Chipping Campden as a base perhaps.

Mill Dene is a privately owned garden in the village of Blockley, - very near Hidcote & Kiftsgate - open 10.30 - 5pm Wednesdays to Fridays & Saturday mornings. (nearest town Moreton in Marsh, or Chipping Campden).

Sudley Castle is in Winchcome, a lovely town beyond Broadway - adult rate: £7.20 open every day 10.30am-5pm (all above within relatively easy reach of one another).

Blenheim Palace would be the ideal stop off between London & the Cotswolds -

Shakespeares birthplace is smack bang wallop in the middle of Stratford upon Avon, (very touristy) other places in Stratford would be Anne Hathaways Cottage (much prettier) & maybe Mary Ardens House, - there is a Bus Tour which will take you to all quite reasonably. special 2-4-1 vouchers to print off: http://www.visittheheart.co.uk

I hope that helps. - have a great visit.

.....TP

London
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Hi nomonomo

Unfortunately, Bourton House Gardens have, in effect, closed to the public. I understand they allow in pre planned caoch parties but individuals just turning up are no longer allowed.

Check out http://www.bourtonhouse.com/

Good luck with the rest of your visit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

We used the GBHP all over the U.K. and found it to be a terrific deal. On their website, click on "Properties by Region" and then on "Heart of England" to see which Cotswolds sites are covered.

You can buy the passes at about 50 Tourist Information Centres in larger towns and cities around the U.K. When you purchase the pass, you get a guidebook to all the properties covered, plus a map that shows at all a glance which ones are in the area you will visit.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,823 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Do you know in which Tourist Information Centres we could buy the Heriatage Pass? It seems that the price for the family pass is worth calculating....

Many thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Hi Ramon,

I remember seeing at one time a list of locations where the pass is sold. And now I can't find it. But I bought mine at the British and London Visitors' Centre at 1 Regent St. near Piccadilly Circus. You could also buy the pass in Newcastle or Bath. My Rick Steves book says the pass is available at about 50 tourist information centres throughout Britain. It also mentions the tourist information centre at Heathrow. So I expect they are available at tourist information centres in the larger towns around the U.K. It certainly was a good deal for me. The pass cost me 52GBP and I saw 96GBP worth of attractions with it.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

Everyone,

Thanks for a various discussions. I just returned home. I visited several gardens listed and enjoyed them much. I might write a trip report in due course.

Thanks.

10. Re: Great British Heritage Pass - Is it worth buying?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds