We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Hello,

I've found some incredibly useful information on this forum about how to do a 3 day trip to the Cotswolds without a car. However I have a few more things to work out and I would greatly appreciate any help.

I am planning to travel by train from London - Salisbury - Bath - Cotswolds - Oxford - Lakes District. I would like to spend 2 nights and 3 days in the Cotswolds. Given where I'd be coming from (Bath) / going to (Lakes)...where would be the best place to base myself in the Cotswolds? Would it perhaps be easier not to arrive from Bath? What would be an alternative?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

You could base yourself in Cheltenham for the Cotswolds leg (you can take a direct train from Cheltenham to Bath)

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Bearing in mind what you plan to visit, maybe bath-oxford, Cheltenham.

Cheltenham to London paddington is a "main service route".

Therefore Oxford to Cheltenham should be the better choice. Furthermore to Head up north country East or west of pennines, Cheltenham is an Ideal location.

East = Cheltenham/Gloucester services Nottingham Sheffield Newcastle Edinburgh.

West = C/G Birmingham Manchester Lake district Glasgow.

Trains are Hourly normally, and the first class 125 service is very comfortable

Check the "trainline"

enjoy the scenery everywhere

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Sorry, perhaps cleare... In order visit Bath, then Oxford, then Cheltenham

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Thank you so much for your replies.

I posted in another forum about my UK trip in general and got some advice about the Cotswolds there as well. Based on that advice I looked up Mad Max tours and I think I may do their 1 day tour of the Cotswolds and then I'll consider going to Oxford and then Cheltenham as you suggested. Thanks for letting me know that Cheltenham is good for getting up to the Lakes District. That's exactly what I need!

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Just one more question. If I were to stay in Cheltenham, given that I don't have a car, would there be enough to do and explore on foot for one whole day?

Given that the Mad Max tours will be a sort of highlights tour of a few villages it would be nice to spend one proper day just walking about on my own, but is there enough to occupy me for a whole day?

Thanks again!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Sadly Cheltenham isn't in the Cotswolds, it's out on the edge of it, below the limestone escarpement so the beautiful stone cottages that typify the area are non-existant in the city. In fact it could be anywhere but the Cotswolds.

7. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 14:10
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Cheltenham is a beautiful place to walk through. Museum, parks, shops tree-lined avenues. And thats with prompt response, If I thought further, who knows what would come out.

I reckn a day on foot is a lovely idea.

Pity i live here!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Thank you all very much for the information and ideas. Yes, I have seen the post by London Diva and it was very helpful. However, after doing a bit more research I don't think I'll be able to stay in the area for 2 or 3 days. I am a budget traveller and so far I can't seem to find any hostels in the Cotswolds area. Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford to stay in B&Bs for a few nights. I think my best option may be to go on the 1 day Mad Max tour which will at least give me a taste for what a few of the villages are like, and hopefully one day I'll be able to return to do it properly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to base myself in Cotswolds? No car.

Little Petals, You will enjoy a day visit to Cotswold with Mad Max. Have a lovely time.