We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Cotswolds Village?

pottstown
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Favorite Cotswolds Village?

We will be in England for 10 nights in October. We'll be staying in Bath for the first five nights, but we need to book our stay for the remaining nights and are having trouble picking where to stay...What is everyone's favorite Cotswold village and which would you recommend a five night stay in? We are looking for a nice example of a typical, pretty Cotswold village that is in a good location for touring the region and will also offer enough amenities. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Please help!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
280 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

Beth there are loads to choose from, but if it is amenities you are after, that narrows it down a bit. Some of the larger villages are Winchcombe, Broadway, Chipping Campden and Burford.

My picks would be Winchcombe or Broadway because of the lovely walks and superb views. I think it is hard to top the beautiful architecture of Broadway's Upper High Stree but that's just one opinion and I'm sure you will have lots of ideas to choose from.

Happy planning!

The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

I would recommend Chipping Campden as a good base, - in answer to your posting it it a very typical cotswold village (market town), very practical location to explore a good number of North Cotswold towns, such as Stow on the Wold, the Slaughters, Bourton on the Water, Moreton in Marsh, - Snowshill, Stanton, Stanway, Broadway etc... it's a place popular with visitors but also has managed to keep a strong community feel, - it offers a good assortment of small independent shops and a brilliant aray of country pubs & restaurants to choose from. - Chipping Campden has heaps of history, and fascinating architecture to admire. There are many footpaths & a small tourist information centre there on hand to help! (www.campdenonline.org).

pottstown
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

Thanks for the replies so far! From the bit of research that I've done so far, I think that Chipping Campden may be our first choice. Of course, I would like to have as much info as possible beforehand to ensure that we are making the best pick! We are also going to look into Broadway, as I have seen it mentioned before...As I said, I think that we are going to try to stay in Chipping Campden, but I do welcome all recommendations! We are booking very late, so if for some reason we are not able to find a suitable self catering cottage in Chipping Campden, we will definitely want to be familiar with other Cotswold villages as possibilities.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

I would suggest you look at www.winchcombewelcomeswalkers.com website which has lots of information on walks, places to see and accommodation in and around Winchcombe.

The town has lots to offer what ever the weather and is the first Cotswold town to gain "Walkers are Welcome" status.

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

You could also try somewhere in and around Chipping Norton. It's not really a tourist spot in itself, more of a working town, but it's a great base for exploring the north Cotswolds - about 10 miles from Burford and 9 miles from Stow.

Villages like Churchill, Kingham and Bledington are worth considering.

UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

Another vote for Chipping Campden. Good food, cute shops and well located for travelling out to larger towns such as Stratford which also has a lot to offer tourists.

Some of the other posters have mentioned other towns like Broadway and Stow which are literally 10 / 15 minutes away too.

If you do stay in Chipping Campden make sure you stop for some food at the Noel Arms hotel as my very good friend is the chef there and I can highly recommend his scrummy food!

7. Re: Favorite Cotswolds Village?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:18