We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Hi,

I've never been to the UK and will be spending a Thursday and Friday in Cotswolds next month. I have no idea where to go or even how to get to Cotswolds. I'll be staying in Kensington and am finding it difficult to find the best way to explore Cotswolds. I'd prefer not to take a group tour, as they are very restrictive. I am looking for an affordable way to see Cotswolds. Any Suggestions?

Thanks--

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
747 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

My suggestion would be to base yourself in a quiet and typical Cotswold town like Chipping Campden.

If you are not hiring a car, I would suggest the train from Paddington to Moreton in Marsh and a taxi to Chipping Campden.

Trains take about 1hr 30mins and go roughly every hour.

Chipping Campden is a classic (but not overly touristy) small town/large village with hotels, B&Bs, places to eat/drink with easy access to walks out of town to see some of the surrounding countryside.

This is a good website to start planning:

http://www.chippingcampden.co.uk/

This will give you a taxi contact

www.chippingcampden.co.uk/contentok.php…

You can plan your train travel here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Anything else you need, please ask

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Thanks for your reply--

Would it be quite expensive to taxi around Cotswolds? I also wanted to hit Bath and Stonehenge while I was out there. I have read that buses are unreliable as a mode of transportation.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
3. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Infrequent is a bit different to unreliable.

And in some parts of the Cotswolds they can be infrequent but say unreliable would mean that they wouldn't run to an advertised timetable, break down alot or simply not show up.

A taxi service taking you around the Cotswolds, Bath and Stonehenge (which is outside the Cotswold region) would be very expensive but, as you have said, it wouldn't be as restrictive as a tour. However I would consider public transport over a taxi journey for these further locations like Bath and Stonehenge.

Chipping Campden is a beautiful town with places like Broadway, the view from Broadway Tower, and Stow-on-the-Wold nearby. If you do use a taxi, I suggest visiting Stanton, Ebrington and Snowshill which are pretty villages just a short drive away.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
4. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Where have you read Cotswold buses are unreliable?

I use them frequently: apart from an occasional few minutes' delay if there's a traffic holdup, I've never had a second's problem.

I'd really appreciate your telling us where you've acquired this absurd piece of nonsense, so we can publicly pillory the inept guide writer who doesn't know what he or she is on about.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

You can certainly travel around by bus if you plan ahead. Fiddle around at www.traveline.org.uk in the West Midlands (WM) area. From Chipping Campden--which I agree is very pleasant--you can visit (for example) Broadway, another very pretty town with a steep but rewarding walk up to the Broadway Tower. From Moreton-in-Marsh it is only about a 25 minute bus ride to Chipping Campden and the bus stop is a short walk from the train station. You can probably find other good connections as well. Frankly, pretty as they are, you really don't need to visit a dozen villages! With luck the weather will allow you to get out and walk at least a bit.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
747 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

My advice was really not to try and see all the Cotswolds in two days (let alone Bath AND Stonehenge). If you try to do that you will end up seeing nothing.

My advice was to STAY in Chipping Campden, walk out of the town to see the surrounding countryside on foot and soak up a bit of atmosphere. You need at least a full day to do any justice at all to Bath and a half day at Stonehenge.

worcestershire
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

I recommend sticking to the Cotswolds rather than spending your time travelling, however you plan to get around. That way you'll get time to see some of the great countryside. The local buses are pretty good or you could hire a car. Stratford is also worth a visit. www.greatescapecars.co.uk do car hire in the Cotswolds including guided tours.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Thanks for all of your replies. If what I read was rubbish, I apologize. I didn't bookmark where I read it, but if I come across any mention of it again, I will make sure to post it on here.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

Would you recommend I rent a car instead of taking a train?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: 2 day trip in Cotswolds from London

I would recommend that you stay in London and take one day trip by train to Bath, and a second day trip by train and bus to Salisbury and Stonehenge. In two days you do not have time to waltz round 20 villages by bus as well as these two places.

Alternatively you could definitely cover more ground by car, but a car is useless in Bath. So you could skip Bath and spend a couple of days driving round the Cotswolds and seeing Stonehenge. Or drive from London to Bath over two days, dropping of the hire car in Bath.

Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds