We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

My husband & I are planning to spend 2 days touring around the Cotswolds late May. We will have a hire car & will be coming from Windsor and haven't yet decided where we will continue on from there.

I have read pages of posts and information on this area and based on what I have read I had been trying to decide between Bourton on the Water, Broadway or Burford for our base for 2 nights.

I have just realised our 2 days are the Sunday & Monday of the bank holiday weekend so I'm a bit worried what impact this will have on our plans. I have read that these villages can get very crowded with tourists (which we will be two of!!) and had started thinking if I should perhaps instead look at the popular choice on TA of Chipping Camden or if the fact these villages are going to be very crowded over this weekend, whether I'm in fact better staying in one of these villages rather than trying to visit them and fight to find car parking, somewhere to eat, etc. Hope that makes sense!

I'm also hoping we can stay somewhere where we can walk to pubs or restaurants for dinner & not have to worry about driving home after a couple of drinks.

I have never been to the UK but my husband lived over there almost 20 years ago and assures me I will love this area.

Cotswolds Mystery Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Cotswolds Guided Tours
Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
CJP Cotswold Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Cotswolds Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

Personally I would avoid Bourton on the Water over a bank holiday weekend, - I should imagine it will be very busy as it attracts families (birdland & model village etc..) & coaches of day trippers (tea rooms & shops!). - although it is a lovely vllage and I would suggest that if you chose to stay in one of the surrounding villages like Burford Stow the Wold, Chipping Campden or Broadway that you visited Bourton on the Water early evening for a stroll beside the river when the crowds have caught their coaches home!

All the villages mentioned above are very close to one another - and very typical of the North Cotswolds. With it being a bank holiday, they will be very popular places for both overseas visitors and british short breaks too, so would urge you to sort the accom. out soon otherwise you may struggle to get where you want to be.

If you chose to stay in this area, - I would also suggest you dont miss the villages of Lower & Upper Slaughter (very picturesque with water mill) which are between Bourton on the Water & Stow on the Wold. - I would also recommend a visit to Broadway Tower for fantastic views, and taking the narrow lanes from there onto Snowshill village, Stanton & Stanway.

I agree with your husband, - I am sure you will love it!

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

Thanks Taterpicker for your quick & detailed reply. On further investigation it looks like most, if not all places require a min. of 3 night bookings for the bank holiday weekend.

We're now looking at the feasability of changing our plans around and spending our week in London ito include the Bank holiday weekend which would give us Sunday the 23rd & Monday 24th May for the Cotswolds.

I'm guessing a Bank holiday weekend in London is much like a bank holiday here in Australia cities.....businesses closed but everything else is pretty much the same as any weekend in the city???

Do you think this would be a better plan?

Edited: 17 February 2010, 11:49
The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

Can't speak much for London on a bank holiday weekend, - i'm a "Country Bumpkin"! - but if you are limited to 2 nights accommodation, - the new dates do seem more of a realistic option for you maybe.

I forgot to address your query re: parking - and thought this may help:

Stow on the Wold has a market place/square very central to everything (similar to Chipping Campden) where there are parking spaces - but it can get quite busy, and I wouldnt say you could always depend on a space. There is also roadside parking in some areas of the village. - Chipping Campden has a market place for parking (tickets from machine) - although you can park roadside with no charge or time limit. Broadway has a large car park behind the high street, which helps keep the High Street free from parked cars. Most of the hotels/B&Bs have parking for guests I believe and all villages mentioned have good selection of pubs/restaurants.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

Yes stay in london first it will be jumping over the bank holiday and everything will be open

As advised book your accom asap in the cotswolds broadway is very pretty and a good base for exploration.

5. Re: Bank holiday weekend & The Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:17