We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
175 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on public transporation and bus tours. After some deliberation, I'm quite sure now that my mom & I are going to rent a car from Oxford and drive ourselves. I want to really enjoy the experience and not feel rushed by a bus tour. I've driven in Ireland several times so driving on the left on narrow roads won't be a problem. Starting from Oxford, what would you suggest as a very scenic drive around the Cotswolds? We love pretty little villages, scenic vistas and fields full of lambs. Shopping is not all that important to us. A nice pub suggestion for lunch would be cool. We've already been to Stratford and want to go to other places. Again, thanks in advance for your help!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

Burford is straightforward from Oxford. Touristy, but an attractive town. I have a soft spot for Bibury and its trout farm and the gorgeous Arlington Row; I think it was Northleach I drove through, and thought: "This is lovely" but didn't have time to stop as we were on our way to Upper and Lower Slaughter which are picturesque; not too far from Bourton on the Water. Very touristy, but quite a few attractions....

Don't really know the NW side of the Cotswolds, so hopefully someone can fill you in on that.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

Stow on the Wold and Broadway are very nice places to visit.

3. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2015, 20:04
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

HI. We are doing the Cotswolds iN May and I found online the Romantic Road drive which takes you on two routes of Cotswolds. Think this will cover your interests. We are staying in Chipping Campden.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

As you feel fine driving on the left on narrow roads, let's take you down a few shall we?

Once you've done the hardest part of the drive, that's getting out of Oxford from Abbey Road, choose 1) along the Botley Road then onto the A34 north then off at Pear Tree Interchange, across one roundabout then down onto another to gain access to the A40 or 2) head into the city following Hythe Bridge Street, Beaumont Street, left at the Randolph Hotel and up St Giles to Woodstock Road, follow that to the A40 roundabout then west to the Cotswolds.

Head on the A40 to Burford, to visit you'll need to dip northwards into the town by exiting the A40 then returning to it later, continue to the junction with the B4425 (signposted Bibury) and head down there for another break. At the Swan Hotel in Bibury there's a little road that follows the valley of the River Coln, signposted Ablington, follow that (it's an unclassified road,it has no number). Make sure you keep left at Ablington otherwise you'll leave the valley behind you and it won't half be as attractive. Cross the river, turn right at the T junction and head to Winson and Coln St Dennis, cross the Fosse Way A429 at Fossebridge then continue to Chedworth Roman Villa and you'll end up in Withington at a lovely old pub called the Mill. A possible late lunch stop?

Head from there back onto the A40 to Andoversford then bear right on to the A436 and then B4068 to Naunton, bearing right about 3 miles after the village to Upper Slaughter then Lower Slaughter. From there both Stow on the Wold and Bourton on the Water are easily signposted and so is the A424 to Burford to get you on the A40 back to Oxford.

Kansas City, Kansas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

One of my favorite drives in the Cotswolds is the drive from Cheltenham on the A46 up to Painswick. There are some lovely views as you go up the valley looking back towards Cheltenham and Gloucester. You will pass the Prinknash Abbey with the Bird Park and the Pottery made by the monks. As you enter into Painswick it is most definitely worth while to stop and walk through the wonderful church yard with the Yews and step inside St Mary's church.

From Painswick you can take any of the many small roads leading to other small villages such as Cranham, Edge, etc. Lovely views on clear days.

Debbie

Kansas City, KS

7. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 21:15
8. Re: Suggestions for a very scenic drive thru the Costwolds

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:15