We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

As it turns out we now have 8 nights total in the UK. So the plans have changed to 4 nights in London at the beginning of the trip followed by 4 nights in the Cotswolds.

I am almost certain that we will be staying at Clapton Manor for the last two nights. It's only about 60 miles from Heathrow, which makes things nice for catching our 14:40 flight. The place seems amazing. The only thing that I can think would make it any more appealing is a fireplace in my room.

So now we need a place for the first two nights out of London. Throwing around the idea of seeing Stonehenge on the way. Not sure about it though.

Any suggestions as to an area of the Cotswolds that we could focus our attention on before we make our way to Clapton Manor area?

Are there different regions? Sorry if this sounds silly, it's just that it's hard to put it all together in my mind. There is just so much information and I'm feeling a bit out of water.

Recommendations for another bed and breakfast for the first two nights?

Thanks for the help!

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

Hi

Lots of places within easy reach of Clapton Manor, The Cotswolds is a collection of villages, most within easy reach of each other. To get the best from your visit you would need a car - is this likely? You will be nearby Bourton on the Water, Stow on the Wold, Moreton in the Marsh, Broadway,Burford are all within an easy drive. Oxford and nearby Blenheim Palace too. Also Warwick, with it's famous castle and Stratford on Avon fairly close nearby - you will be busy!!

If you decide to 'do' Stonehenge, you could look around the Salisbury area, although there are other things to do in the area, i.e Avebury (standing stones) Nearby is Marlborough, lovely market town. As you are landing at Heathrow and subject to having a car, you could take in Windsor and see the Castle en route to Salisbury. To give you some idea Salisbury is around 2 - 3 hours driving time from Heathrow.

Hope this helps

Regards

Janice

Edited: 22 February 2011, 14:16
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,235 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

Here's a website that might help...

http://www.oxfordshirecotswolds.org/

Oxford, Warwick, Blenheim Palace and Stonehenge are all doable, but if you are looking for the "Cotswolds" experience, visiting these places doesn't seem to fit in. On the other hand if you are anxious to see them, and don't mind mixing Cotswolds villages with towns like Oxford or iconic ruins Stonehenge, then do it.

You may also want to look at the National Trust website--I believe Hidcote Gardens is not to far from Broadway.

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…w-hidcote.htm

Look to the right on the page--they recommend other nearby sites of interest. Depending on how many you want to do, it may be worth getting a National Trust membership--there is a special one available to overseas visitors, and sometimes it works out to get it. If you did decide to see Stonehenge, for example, the National Trust membership would get you in for free--even though it is run by English Heritage. For that site, they have a reciprocal arrangement, but I am not aware of others.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

I may be wrong here but I believe that National Trust membership would entitle you to free parking at Avebury. Acess to the English Heritage site is free but the car park is managed by the National Trust and parking cost £5 last time I used it.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,235 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

@pausilypon--I've read your answer three times and I don't really understand what you're getting at. Avebury has lots of free parking, and the stones are free for anyone to wander over as they circle the town---you must pay to see Stonehenge, but it is free with a National Trust membership.

5. Re: Extended our time in the Cotswolds!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:19