We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in December.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in December.

Good morning!

Having used the forum search I haven't been able to find a recent thread with quite the right question, so thought I'd send this one out their for all you wonderful people!

My wife and I would like a little break on Friday 2/12 until the Sunday. We would love a little hotel/cottage/B&B off the beaten track with an awesome view, a proper fire and a pub within walking distance.

We will be using the car and would also like to be able to watch the Rugby in Bath on the Saturday. One final thing, a Christmas market if possible!

In terms of distances, we are fine driving 30 or so minutes to Bath/Cheltenham etc.

Any suggestions? Budget would be max 120 a night per room.

Cheers

Bill

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in December.

Do be aware that early December last year saw parts of rural Britain immobile in snow.

Have a look at this Cotswolds blog - scroll back to early December. www.janenottage.com/cotswoldblog/2010/12/

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in December.

Here's some coverage from the Cotswold Jounral for last year:

Motorists advised to take care as snow predicted to return to Gloucestershire http://j.mp/o3e4T4

Gritters out in Gloucestershire as further snow forecast tonight http://j.mp/pj4cEK

Motorists warned to take care on icy roads this morning http://j.mp/onA725

On a cheerier note :) -

All smiles at festive market http://j.mp/oFC3zR

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in December.

Hi Nick,

Last year we were due to head up to Keswick for a similar break. Suffice to say, we didn't end up there (no canoe!).

It's not something I can worry about, if it happens it happens! Being from the North West we are used to putting up with the weather.

Cheers

Bill

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in December.

Apologies, Bill - I saw you were from Preston, but could only see "United ..." so given your avatar I assumed it was the was the Preston in Idaho!

The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in December.

I would suggest you headed for Broadway, which has a nice selection of small hotels or guesthouses/B&Bs in the village, - and plenty of pubs/restaurant choices. Also, to tick another of your boxes - the Broadway Late Night Christmas Shopping event is on Friday 2nd December, up until 8.30pm. They have started to advertise this (August!) - Carol singers, horse & carriage rides, food stalls, mulled wine & Christmas Tree Festival (not sure what that means exactly...?). The High Street of Broadway is usually decorated very tastfully with lighted trees either side, - and there is a good assortment of good quality shops to visit. - Plenty of the pubs/hotels would have an open fire to sit beside, - and you would be no more than a 30 minute drive from Cheltenham.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in December.

@Tate: Sounds intriguing, and right up our street! Will look into the hotels, thanks very much.

@Nick The avatar is Kuala Lumpur at midnight.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in December.

Trty to search for a suitable Hotel / B&B in or near Cheltenham using www.cheltenhamaccommodation.co.uk - Cheltenham has a nice Christmas Market as well.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
423 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in December.

Thanks Erik. I;m going to steer away from Chelteham for the simple reason that I spent a lot of time down there visiting friends and would like to try somewhere completely new.

What I'm reall looking for is a cosy place up in the hills, the traditional babbling brook at the foot of the garden etc. within a 30 or so minute drive of a place with a Christmas market.

Keep the suggestions coming though, really appreciate it.

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in December.

hi whilst not off the beaten track Bourton on the Water would be a great base shops and pubs in walking distance if weather not so good,Take a look at a house we stayed in , a great property built in 1650 with a stunning four poster, wood burner and heated floor, think it would be within your budget ,think you would be better staying in somewhere less remote at that time of year . the property is called middle gable the old hall bourton on the water and is available through www.english-country cottages .co. uk property ref nos , have a good time whatever you choose

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in December.

ps bourton has late night christmas shopping and the pretty river windrush runs straight through the villagechipping campden also has a lot to offer