We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

Hi there! would like to know:

(1) are the attractions, castles, falconry, trout farm etc opened on saturdays and esp. sundays

(2) are most food places opened for business?

(3) does it get crowded with tourists?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

What time of year are you asking about? Pubs are open year round and you can usually get a Sunday luch or evening meal at one of these, they get busy and need to be booked in July/ August, but visitor numbers are very 'time of year' dependent.

singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

thanks for sharing! i am looking at the first or second week of october. weekend of 8th-9th Oct.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 14:35
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

Parts of the Cotswolds can get quite busy with tourists, but it's manageable. Naturally it's busier at weekends, when it's sunny, in the summer, and school holidays, so October will be relatively quiet. One answer to that is to go to at least some places that aren't in the guide books. The Cotswolds are nice, but so are plenty of other places. Many counties of England have beautiful towns and villages that hardly see a tourist from one month to the next with lots of lovely scenery, picturesque villages (some of them!), pubs, and of course public footpaths to walk on.

Edited: 04 September 2011, 18:08
4. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 13:58
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,328 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

I agree with Martin - The Cotswolds are fine, but there's plenty of lovely parts of England that aren't full of tourists. Shropshire for instance has rolling hills, quaint market towns and quiet roads; Herefordshire too.

Because those counties are largely ignored in some guidebooks they're ignored by 99% of tourists. Still, I suppose it means they're nice and quiet for us...

Mike

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

Have to admit, that from your OP # 1 it doesn't sound like you want to see the Cotswolds as much as something like Warwick Castle, or Hampton Court Palace.

What do you wish to see? The Cotswolds, to me, means finding out of the way spots and villages where I can take walks or cycle, or drive. I don't go there looking for "attractions," per se.

7. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 13:58
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

The Cotswolds aren't "full of tourists" as far too many tourists have been gulled by ill-informed ignorami into believing.

About six places ( the microtowns of Burford, Chipping Campden, and Tetbury, and the villages of Bibury, Bourton on the Water and Broadway) are pretty full between between 1100 and 1600 on Sats, Suns and Bank Holiday from Easter to the Autumn Equinox, and on Mothering Sunday (fourth Sunday in Lent) weekend.

That's it. The other 96% of the year, even they're empty. The whole point of West Oxfordshire and Eastern Gloucestershire is that we're just about the emptiest places in England

So a request to the dispensers of outright claptrap. You may well want tourists in your underperforming economies. But do try researching the gibberish you're dispensing before churning it out to innocent visitors.

And a note to the OP: LauraRW summarises a "Cotswold Weekend" far better than any list of commercial "must sees"

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

Thank you, flanneruk!

I have enjoyed the Cotswolds every time I have been there!

singapore
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to expect of a cotswolds weekend?

Thanks all, esp. Dix for helping to check. I have got a car and 6 days in and around the Cotswolds, so I do intend to see a fair bit of the attractions and the off-beaten, weather permitting.

Was just wondering what the weekends can be like. Doesn't look too daunting!