We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

Hi All,

I'd be really grateful for some advice. We are hoping to come to the Cotswolds for a couple of nights in December after we get married for a brief honeymoon. Having looked through some of the posts in the forum i think Chipping Campden and Bourton-on-the-Water sound like the places for us.

Basically we are looking for somewhere with nice cosy pubs and a couple of good restaurants. We would like to be centrally located so we can walk home after dinner etc. I'd love somewhere with a really Christmassy feel too!

Budget wise we would probably look to spend up to around £200 per night and would like a hotel with a nice homely feel to it rather than anything super posh - likewise we would also consider an upmarket B&B.

Can you let me know which option you think would be best suited and if there are any hotels/b&b's in particular you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Chipping Norton
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

Hi there,

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific but I'd definitely recommend Chipping Campden over Bourton. It definitely has a nice Xmas feel in December & there are lots of good B&B/hotels around there. I love the place. Hope that helps.

Tyrone

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

My initial reaction was Chipping Campden too. BOTW can be very touristy, even in the winter when locals tend to visit while it is quieter, mostly for the shops and to see the huge Xmas tree in the stream that runs through the middle of the village.

CC is altogether more "authentic" and I think you will find it much cosier.

Being local, I haven't stayed ther but I had lunch once in the Noel Arms and it was very nice!! http://www.noelarmshotel.com/

The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

I would recommend The Dormy House Hotel, - which actually doesnt exactly fit your criteria as it is very much "out on its own" in the hills between Chipping Campden and Broadway, - but it is a lovely traditional Hotel with roaring fires & wonderful views/walks etc.. The Barn Owl Restaurant (Brasserie?) is adjoining where I have recently dined with friends and the food was very good with very attentive friendly staff. - Very Atmospheric, and "romantic"! It is no more than a 5 minute drive from either Chipping Campden or Broadway - but unfortunately not within walking distance of any other restaurants or pubs (at that time of the year anyway!) - I don't know what their room rates are, but I do know that last year they did special deals on rooms just before Christmas which did seem very reasonable at the time?

Alternatively, I would suggest The Kings Hotel in the centre of Chipping Campden - particularly one of the rooms in the cottage to the rear, - as they are more contemporary & private. - again I am not sure on the room rates, but the food in the restaurant there has always been very good IMO.

The Noel Arms as previous mentioned is OK, - although there never seems to be the "buzz" of other places ??? - perhaps that's just me ?

I agree with others, in preferring Chipping Campden to Bourton on the Water, - adding that perhaps Broadway may be another alternative, - you may also need to consider some of these cotswold villages host Christmas Market events which will add to the atmostphere, - depending of course on the dates you are thinking of?

Wherever you decide, - I hope you have a lovely time :-)

4. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 20:03
The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

Thank you Diz - it's re-assuring to learn i'm not alone in my opinions! -)

6. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 20:04
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

I too can recommend the Dormy House. Try to get rooms in the newer "Danish Quarter" as they are much nicer.

They do a half board (breakfast and dinner) and while you can dine in the dining room, it is rather stuffy and formal and lacks the wonderful ambiance in the Barn Owl.

Big roaring fireplaces, several walks right out the door, with maps and directions at reception.

That's where I'd go.

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

Super thanks so much for your help all - will look up all these options and let you know how i get on! very grateful to have some guidance as have never visited the area before :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

Congrats on your upcoming marriage and another vote for Broadway or Chipping Campden.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon - Chipping Campden or Bourton-on-the-Water?

chipping campden would be my choice over bourton...... but have you considered broadway.... a very nice place full of period charm.... there is a very nice upmarket place called russells...chic for the cotswolds lovely rooms with superb food... located bang in the centre of the high street..www.russellsofbroadway.co.uk..only has about 3 rooms though appox £130 per room per night... enjoy