We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

Came accross this when looking for a weekaway with my young family. It looks really nice - but struggling to find reviews. Can anyone help me out?

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

I have never stayed there but the area is quite nice, albeit very remote.

You will definately need a car to get around (the nearest bus stp is about a mile away),

Phil-the-Bus

2. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 November 2015, 21:14
South Cerney...
Level Contributor
26 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

I've never stayed on Lower Mill, but have walked through many times as I live nearby. I imagine it would be very nice. Lovely countryside for rambling with the children, pretty villages, and only 15 minutes drive into Cirencester.

Reading, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

We have stayed at Lower Mill a number of times and love it more and more everytime we go. If you want something that's easy and relaxing i would go for it. www.lmeluxuryholidays.com seem to have the best properties available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

Reviews are mixed but you can try this http://www.watermarkclub.com

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

We stayed at a new property, five of us stayed over Christmas three adults and two children. We had a fun and relaxing time. The apartment was lovely and clean with everything needed for our stay. The boys had a great time on their bike exploring the area. The heated pools make it possible for out door swimming which is something that I would not normally have done during winter. I really liked being able to use the gym it felt as if I had a gym at home as it was close to the apartment, just a bike ride away. Looking forward to my next visit.

mk
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

just been to lower mill for the weekend stayed in the mallows was really good my daughter screamed all the way home as she had such a good time she didnt want too leave we could have been their longer than the weekend really nice to walk to the pool and park and good for biking and dogs a good family holiday

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

Just returned from a week here and wish I could of found some reviews before I went.

Arrived to discover one parking place allocated for 2 cars and not near property either so disabled parent had to walk to and from car park - second car had to be left in overflow car park miles away and ended up getting its door knocked by careless owner next to it. Space was fine during week but at weekend when full it was impossible to open doors when parked the spaces are so small.

Fridge was iced up and dirty so we had to deal with it as food was warm. Broken dishwasher runner. Dirty oven, pans dishes and cutlery. 2 Dining chairs were unsafe to use. Broken blinds to bathrooms that you could see in at night when the lights were on. Broken lock to bathroom window. Broken Hoover. Dirty outside furniture. Stained carpets. Tired decoration and cracks throughout. Key kept jamming to front door and would of been unable to open if a fire had broken out during night. We waited four days for the handyman to come and look!

Balcony had a table and chairs but was too small to eat outside.

Some residents enjoyed sitting out until well into the early hours of the morning night after night laughing and shouting so we either closed the windows and baked or were kept awake by the noise. Security came and advised us it was against the rules to hang towels on the balcony even though we hadn't though.

Internet appeared to be included when we booked but was actually extra and once paid discovered only one device at a time was allowed to use and kept having to log back in every 10 minutes due to constant loss of connection.

Site roads are very narrow with boulders either side which resulted in chaos unless you could back up - when you couldn't you ended up wedged and risked scratching your car.

The estate shop had a sign advising when open but this was a complete waste of time as it opened when they wanted not when advertised.

The Spa and estate were more like a kids playground than a relaxing retreat - I have 3 (now teens/20's) but they would not have been wandering around on bikes and in the pools unattended when they were as young as the many we saw.

This is described as "NATURAL, RELAXING, LUXURIOUS - THE ULTIMATE HOLIDAY ESCAPE" but I found it completely the opposite.

I spoke to one owner who has been there 8 years and she was far from happy with the place now.

Customer service ends the minute you pay the balance I'm afraid. I did not use a credit card due to the surcharge but kicking myself now.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

I've been staying at various houses at this estate for four years now. It used to be lovely, really serene and very high standards. Over the years it's been really going down hill - bedding becoming manky, decor tired, lights and radiators not working etc. They don't seem to care that much anymore. We went at Christmas, a family of 9, but there were only sofas for 4, and staff were quite stroppy about having to find more seating, and I complained a bit about the state of the place and was offered a discount off my next stay - after quite a bit of pushing and I was made to feel I was really putting them out.

Final nail in the coffin is that I've just tried to book a visit for me and some girlfriends (who are all well over 40, and exhausted and by no means going to run amok) for a weekend of rest and spa, and they have refused our booking saying they don't accept single sex groups, and we'd 'party harder than a group of 20 year olds'! Outrageous. Would they say that to a group of 60 year old women? Or if I take along a token man to 'keep us under control' would we be allowed in? Are they even allowed to do this? Surely this is as illegal as any other kind of discrimination? Can they say this any more than saying we couldn't come with more than 2 kids each, or if we were wearing a burqa? Customer service is nil, when I challenged them as a regular visitor, they said, and I quote again 'These are our rules.' I 'don't have a basis for complaint'., 'good luck in finding somewhere else'. I've been going off this place for years. Snobbish, uppity and money grabbing. This just confirms my opinion.

Gloucester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Lower Mill Estate, Somerford Keynes

Absolutely do not book Lower Mill Estate if you don't want to risk your special plans being cancelled last minute, be left devastated and being left without roof over your head!! I am getting married abroad in a couple of weeks and booked Lower Mill Estate for family and friends as a pre wedding get together/celebration before me and my fiance go away for our wedding. The weekend arrangements were for the girls to get together on the first night and then the boys to join us (when I say girls and boys - I mean I was the yougest in the party and am a 34 year old Midwife!). The majority of the rest of the group were hitting or over 60. I was asked if this was a hen do when I booked and explained that I supposed the fact it was females on the first night it was a 'hen'of sorts - but I wasnt seeing it this way and we just wanted a quiet spa/relaxation weekend as I had been suffering cardiac problems. The girl Beth who booked it said as long as there was no tacky pink balloons and banners (her exact words) that was fine and asked me to book in 3 different names so it did not look like one big group booking. She also said we could not have more than 6 women in each property - which we paid extra to adhere to. I checked that whilst we were staying we would be able to all get together in one property for dinner which she replied 'of course'. The week before we were due to go I spent time the majority of the week in hospital with cardiac problems - fortunately under strict orders to relax and take it easy I was discharged so I could go on this weekend. Two hours before we were due to set off I got a call from Lower Mill saying that someone had emailed the estate to try to arrange a surprise bottle of champagne for me and had termed it 'my hen do' - therefore as they had concerns it was a hen do they were cancelling the booking. I explained that this was not the case and fully explained my health condition and the ages of the party (which they had taken on my booking). Lower Mill absolutely refused to listen to me, point blank refused my offer to put down at least £1000 further deposit as I was that sure it was going to be a sedate weekend with no trouble, laughed at my distress and cancelled the booking. Fortunately after a huge amount of distress my fiance contacted Orion Holidays who have properties on the Watermark Estate - Spring Lake just up the road and explained the full situation. Orion Holidays were hugely helpful and thankfully booked us last minute accomodation. Whilst it was not the chic/modern accomodation with luxury spa I intended at Lower Mill the customer service was second to none - the Manager came and welcomed us and could not do enough for us - like he said if we wanted a party weekend - we would not have booked Lower Mill! And the views were stunning of the lake! As we were getting ready to check out and I was doing my usual...stripping all the beds & scrubbing bathrooms and the kitchen etc to make sure we left it more pristine than we found it I could not believe the discrimination we had been subjected to by Lower Mill Estate. The fact they pulled our booking a few hours before check in when we had madc full payments etc I think is absolutely disgusting and after reading a whole host of other reviews it seems that this is not uncommon of them. DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE!