We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds itinerary help

los angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cotswolds itinerary help

Hi.

My daughter and I are afraid of driving in England. Does the following sound like a good idea?

Fly to London. Stay 3 nights.

Train to Oxford. Stay 2 nights.

Train to Moreton-in-the-Marsh followed by bus to Chipping Campden. Stay 2 nights.

Bus to Broadway. Stay 2 nights.

Bus or train to Bath. Stay 1 night.

Question: What is the best way to get from Bath to Heathrow Airport? And what would be best way to get from Broadway to Bath?

Thank you so very much for your expertise and help!

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
143 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

Hi Your itinerary sounds OK. You'll find plenty of things to do,but you may want to spend more time in Bath.

Broadway to Bath is quite a long journey by public transport - you may have to get a bus to somewhere like Cheltenham and then get a train or National Express coach from there.

You can get a direct train from Bath to London Paddington station and then get the Heathrow Express to the airport. A cheaper option might be the direct coach service from Bath to Heathrow. You can Google both of these choices.

los angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

Thank you very much! You clarified have made planning easier, especially the trip from Bath to Heathrow. If we modify, how many nights would you suggest in Bath? All the best, and God bless.

Beth

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

i think 1 night would be adequate in bath providing you get a full day following to have a good look around... of course 2 nights would be better if you can fit it into your itinery....whilst in london/oxford/bath i would definately take the open deck bus tours which allow you to hop on hop off all day..... its a great way to see a place in a short time... you also get a valuable history lesson thrown in... enjoy

Edited: 01 March 2012, 16:28
The Cotswolds
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

Looking at your Itinerary I wonder if you realise just how close Chipping Campden and Broadway are to one another ?

My first thoughts would be to consider staying in Chipping Campden for 3 nights which would mean you wouldn't have to move on / re-pack/unpack again etc.. but still be able to enjoy both places quite easily either by walking around/between them or hopping on the bus, - and then move on to Bath for 2 nights.

..... just a thought! hope it helps :-)

los angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

I think your idea is brilliant, and we will do just that. Thank you, all, for your extremely helpful advice. I anyone ever needs advice on California, I am here.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

From Chipping Campden to Bath by public transport is doable but long winded. The easiest would be by bus back to Moreton then by train via Oxford and Didcot (or even Reading)

Or bus to Broadway and on to Evesham or Cheltenham

Or from Moreton bus to Cheltenham

But on either of those bus routes connections may not be that good.

Those all need a train onwards

Edited: 02 March 2012, 13:56
Kenilworth
Level Contributor
373 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

I think your itinerary is very realistic and you should enjoy yourselves a lot.

If you enjoy walking, there are many good footpaths in the area you will be visiting and I would encourage you to buy an Ordnance Survey map and explore them.

You can easily walk from Chipping Campden to Broadway, for example - it should be easy to find a taxi company to ferry your baggage between the two places should you wish.

For public transport information try http://www.traveline.info/index.html

The easiest way from Broadway to Bath is probably bus to Cheltenham (which is a very scenic journey), then train from Cheltenham to Bath. There is a direct First Great Western rail service between Cheltenham and Bath but this runs only a small number of times per day so it will pay to carefully check the times beforehand.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

If you get the Broadway to Cheltenham bus(agree very scenic but also not very frequent)) then you will need another bus to transfer to the train station - it's quite a distance, but they run every 10 minutes

Don't worry about a direct train service from Cheltenham to Bath - very infrequent as said. However there's a service at least every half hour changing at Bristol which will be quicker anyway.

You may find this useful for buses:

…gloucestershire.gov.uk/Bustimes/Cotswold.htm

los angeles
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

You have all been so helpful, and have made what seemed very complicated and confusing plans much more clear. I don't feel so lost, thanks to all of you.

Thank you for such helpful tips, especially about the distance between the towns, and the trains and busses. You are awesome for taking the time to help.

10. Re: Cotswolds itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 00:42