We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Cotswolds

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Cotswolds

We will be arriving at LHR around 3:15 in the afternoon. We will pick up our car so we can "enjoy" rush hour traffic. Would it be realistic to get up to the Cotwolds and find a B&B that afternoon/evening? We'd like not to reserve a room beforehand. We'd like to drive and explore where we' like to stay (3 or 4 nights) before going on to Wales. Any good suggestions on where to stay the first night? Thanks!

Jdmckay

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

>>We'd like not to reserve a room beforehand.

I would find and reserve a place on-line. The Cotswolds are certainly wonderful for exploring, but why not reserve the exploring for pleasure? Especially if you are coming off a long flight, and are tired.

Broadway and Chipping Campden are very nice as bases. Don't count on getting out of Heathrow and behind the wheel until 5:15, and then it is a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours until you reach the Cotswolds. I think searching for a place to stay at that hour would be very trying, as you'll be tired, jet lagged and hungry.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

Yeah, with all the traffic, I'm sure it will be a nightmare. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if I can't find some quaint B and B online. I'll look into Broadway and Chipping Campden.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,423 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

Chipping Campden:

thecotswoldsguide.com/accommodation/Chipping…

Broadway

thecotswoldsguide.com/accommodation/search.p…

Or you could stay here, which is right in between the two, and has a fab breakfast:

http://dormyhouse.co.uk/

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

Thanks for the sites! It's greatly appreciated!

Ely, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

We stayed at The Eagle in Little Coxwell recently, the beds were comfy, rooms were a decent size, breakfast was excellent and the evening menu was great.

http://www.eagletavern.co.uk/

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

It really isn't good for you (which doesn't worry me much) or for us (which worries me greatly) to have someone relatively inexperienced at driving a lethal weapon on the proper side of the road getting off a plane after a 10 hr sleepless night and then driving that car round the busiest road in Europe when it's at its busiest.

Especially since it'll be me and my family you'll be endangering.

More especially when there's no reason for it. Far, far easier to get the bus from outside your terminal to Oxford, walk into a nice hotel in one of Europe's most beautiful cities, get a decent meal and a proper sleep then collect the car the following morning when you're able to appreciate the nice scenery and the far from trivial (but, when fully compos mentis, highly enjoyable) challenge of handling our crowded roads.

Now if you're actually arriving from a few weeks in Italy, your Plan A's fine (though I'd certainly prebook the first night) and have a great time. But if you plan on driving round here after last waking up in Mason City, no offence but we'd just as soon you stayed in Mason City.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

Thanks for the link on the the Eagle Tavern. It looks very quaint. As far as driving, I have driven rush hour traffic from Heathrow several times, and it is a rather slow going. I don't think you can reach a speed where you'd do any damage. The last time it took an hour and ten minutes to journey 21 miles. I've got to say, however, that we have a tendency to stay in our lanes, drive the speed limit, use turn signals when appropriate, etc. much better than a good portion of the local drivers. Having driven in Italy,Greece, and other driving hotspots on numerous occasions, I'm fairly adept at driving to the local conditions. However, that said, I'm leaning toward staying out by the airport the first night. I know a pub or two that can be reached from the Marriott or Renaissance, pick up our car the next day, and avoid all the insane drivers while fully refreshed from a good night's sleep.

8. Re: Heathrow to Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:17