We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

I'm thinking of walking the Cotswold Way from the end of December until the beginning of January. I know it's not the recommended time of year for walking, but it's the only time I can make it. I did walk there at the same time last year and I'm from a warm area, so I enjoyed the chill and dressed warmly.

My trouble has come in finding a company to arrange a self-guided tour. I tried Contours and it turns out they won't arrange a tour that includes New Year's Day. My primary concern in seeking a company is the luggage transfer between villages.

Has anyone used a good Cotswold walking-tour company that I can check with for these dates? I'm really looking forward to this walk if I can make it work.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,022 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

I doubt very much that you will find a company willing to do a walking tour at that time.

A friend of mine walked through the Cotswolds with her husband, and did it thusly:

They booked every B & B in advance, found the names of local cab companies, and arranged for a cab to come, pick up their luggage, and take it to the B & B, which the owner would then stow it in their rooms. Then they walked to the B & B where their luggage was.

Obviously, this isn't for everyone. I would even expect that a New Year's day cab might charge a holiday rate. And you have to trust all involved. A tricky proposition, but there it is.

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

Could you sort out an itinerary that includes 2 nights in the same place over New Year? Possibly do a non-Cotswold Way loop? There are plenty of footpaths away from the actual route that would give a different experience walking away from the edge. Actually, if you stay overnight at a hostelry that is celebrating New Year's Eve, you could join in then just lie in and take a gentle stroll on New Year's Day ;-)

There is a list of circular walks here, but there are plenty of others if you have a map (OL45):

www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Cotswold/text.asp…

That same website also has a link for Luggage Transfer Services that you could contact.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

Thanks for these tips and for the National Trails link. It sounds like walking this trail may be hard over New Year's Day, but I'll keep seeing if I can put something together. If anyone has any other advice, it would be much appreciated.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,022 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

Really, I like Diz's idea a lot--I think it is what I would do.

Don't hold your breath on other ideas. At this time of year, options a and b might be as good as it gets.

Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

We have walked the Cotswold Way, independently of any tour company, just as LauraRW suggested and did prety much as her friends did, though unlike you, we walked in spring. We prebooked B and Bs, many of which will offer a luggage transfer service, for a fee, similar to that charged by one of the company's. One hazard at that time of the year though, could be snow and you may not want to /can't walk a part of the way but have to move on because you have prebooked accommodation.

BTW the circular walks are pleasant, can recommend the walk to Snowshill and back to Stanton.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

I can't see the point of these "x to y in eight days" walks in Britain.

If you want eight different walks, there are hundreds of thousands of circular walks to choose from, and it's easy to drive on at the end of each day's walk to the next place.

There's nothing on the Cotswold Way that's not also on dozens of different footpaths nearby. Day after day walking round New Year is a pain: with limited light (you really don't want to be on an English footpath in twilight, unless you're determined to twist an ankle on an unburied tree root), a higher than usual risk of snow making the path you've chosen impassable, but the one half a mile away just fine and only eight hours a day when it's possible to walk even uncomfortably, I'd choose a walking strategy that gave me the maximum flexibility.

And New Year is the nuttiest week of the year to walk the Cotswolds anyway. Paying premium hotel rates (if you can find a hotel that'll take you for one night, because I don't know of any) for the worst walking of the year honestly doesn't make sense.

I'll be walking the Cotswolds for several days this coming New Year, so I'm not against the location or the activity. I just think you're going out of your way to choose the least sensible way of doing it.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

You'll find that quite a lot of the B&B's along the Cotswolds way will be closed for Christmas and New Year holidays. So don't take any chances, book everything well in advance.

Also note daylight hours will be approx. 8am-3.30pm so start promptly in the morning as you don't want to find yourself miles from the nearest village on a very wet and muddy track in the dark. Aim to arrive at your next destination by 3pm - not always easy.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

You may be lucky with the weather, but this is not the best time of year to appreciate the beauty of walking in the Cotswolds. There is every possibility that it will be very cold and wet with poor visibility. I would keep all options open - including day trips to places with indoor sights to see. (e.g. Oxford)

9. Re: Cotswold Way walk over New Year's Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:17