We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswolds for 3 days in April

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Hi! I am travelling from Australia and spending approx 3 weeks in England in April. I was planning on staying 3 days/3nights in the Cotswolds. I've never been to England before and i'm very excited, i want to see as much as i can without it being too rushed. I would really appreictae some tips and advice on my following itinerary. Thankyou!

I am hiring a car and my plan was:

Day 1: drive from Oxford and on day 1 see Burford (wander around the village for a couple of hours), Bibury (1/2 day) Tetbury (1/2 day) and Painswick (wander around the village for a couple of hours); staying in Burford/Bibury

Day 2: Winccombe (couple of hours), Stow on the wold (1/2 day), The Slaughters (1/2 day) & Bourton on the water (couple of hours)

Day 3: Broadway and Chipping Camden

Does this sound too ambitious and too rushed? Should i just concentrate on a few of the cotswolds villages instead and if so which ones do people recommend?

Thankyou!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

First thoughts:

Day 1 - Burford is large as villages go - it may even be classed as a "small town" - and would make a good base as there is a choice of accomodation and plenty of pubs/eating places, very pleasant for evenings saunters. Take a look at Google street view. Bibury is very small and half a day would, in my opinion, be far too long to spend there. There is free parking alongside the stream, Arlington Row is across the small bridge. If you have any stale bread, take it with you to feed the ducks - watch the escapees from the Trout Farm (further upstream) leap and snatch the chunks before the slower mallards can get them.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

I agree that Burford would be a better base then Bibury, although I would look for a place to stay off the main Burford drag which is trafficy.

So, will you be spending the second night at the same place? I would think you might as well, since the drive is pleasant and not too long.

Your plan is good, very good in fact. You are definitely covering the charmers. The time you dedicate to any place will likely depend on what you want to do there. Like the Lower and Upper Slaughter, you could miss them if you blink unless you stopped for lunch or a snack.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Pausilypon thanks for your advice! I think i might spend the first night in Burford after your suggestion. I look forward to feeding the ducks at Bibury :-)

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Hi Anna-Roz, thankyou very much for your reply and your advice, i'm feeling a little bit more at ease that someone thinks my plan is ok!

From what i've googled, the cotswolds area isn't huge, in terms of driving distance and time, i think maybe an hour from Tetbury in the southern end to chipping campden in the north? I was just worried that i was being too ambitious and trying to see too many places?

I think that for night 2 & 3 i was going to try and stay at Chipping Campden.

Are there any other 'charmers' that you would recommend me visiting or any speciic places/things to do that you would recommend?

Thankyou :-)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Hi daydream -

First, let me disclose to you that this past September/October was our very first trip to the Cotswolds. So, I am not an expert by any measure, although I did a considerable amount of research before we went.

We based in Chipping Campden for five nights and did day trips from there, including a day trip to Burford, Bibury, Slaughters, Stow on the Wold, i.e., all the big-ticket towns/villages.

I can tell you that there were two places which pretty much knocked my socks off and for which I would do the trip again, and even drive on that uber pesky side of the road :) (you are lucky, since this is how you drive in Australia).

So, without further ado.. first is Castle Comb [sp] which is somewhat more removed from the rest. We were taken there by a driver who picked us up from Heathrow so we did not have to drive there from our base. Second is Stanton, which is a dot on the map village about a 20-30 minute drive from Chipping Campden. It was a misty afternoon and there was an old man walking his dog in the middle of this one-street village with cottages on both sides, and it was magic. So, here you go! Two more charmers.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Meant to note here, I think this book will be of much help in your travels through the region. Certainly was worth the $$ for us.

AA Leisure Guide to Cotswolds amazon.com/gp/…oh_details_o01_s00_i01

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Thanks Anna Roz!

It's so great getting tips and advice from people who have been to the cotswolds and finding out about 'charmers' that you wouldn't necessarily read about in the guide books. Castle Combe and Stanton both sound beautiful, i've googled them and they're both going on my list of places to go!

Thanks for the book tip as well, i'l be looking into that one!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

If you are based in Chipping Campden, there is an unusual pub only a few miles away, at Bretforton, just off to the left of the B4035 to Evesham. See www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fleece-inn for more information, there may be Morris dancers performing during your stay.

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Hi half a day is too long in Bibury and two hours not enough in Bourton on the water, Chipping CAmpden is beautiful and Blockley is a real hidden gem between Chipping Campden and Moreton in marsh,

regards

west midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cotswolds for 3 days in April

Ps the fleece at bretforton is well worth a visit, the tv series land girls was filmed here and the father brown series currently on tv was filmed in Blockley