We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

Hello,

I am looking for some special event or activity in the Cotswolds on Easter Sunday. I will actually base where I stay on what fun things are around to do. I'm American looking for something like an village fete (which I know would not likely happen on a holiday) but that may give you an idea of the kind of thing I would like to do.

Thank you.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

Village fetes happen in the summer. There are virtually no fete-like daytime activities over Easter, at least not for adults: "Easter extravaganzas" are advertised at many garden centres, shopping malls and visitor attractions (though garden centres and all larger shops are closed for business on Easter Sunday) - but this usually means a few free Easter eggs for children, possibly a daffodil bouquet for mothers and occasionally the odd gardening demonstration.

This obviously doesn't make the area any less worth visiting: we get on perfectly fine without silly quaintness 365 days a year, and Easter Sunday - the day most gardens and National Trust-like sites reopen - 's usually the day most of us actually start avoiding the tourist honeyspots between 11 and 4 at weekends because they start getting busy again. Few places see the need to waste energy stimulating more visitors on a day visitor numbers usually outweigh a town's ability to handle them.

Someone might tell you about a jousting display at some commercial attraction, but I'd be astonished if anyone dug out something like that worth coming all this way for. There are usually good classical concerts on Good Friday and Holy Saturday, and a smattering of decent art exhibitions.

But how are you getting here? Trains from London are badly messed up over Easter, adding over an extra hour each way.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

I think that, at this late stage, you will have to base where you stay on where you can find accommodation.

3. Re: Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 November 2015, 16:59
Edited: 20 November 2015, 16:59
New York
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

Thank you for your suggestions and input thus far.

I have reservations for all but one night and have checked that I still have options for my unbooked night. I do know it is difficult to live in an area that gets flooded with tourists at certain times of the year.

I am going out to the Cotswolds on 30 March with a tour guide and plan to use taxis if there is no available public transportation but may just stay at a spa hotel for Easter Sunday and Easter Monday which is my mother's 82nd birthday. Wanted to do something nice with her. I do know the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway will be running on Easter Sunday and it might be nice to just travel around a bit on the steam train that is running.

I will follow through on the suggestions offered and see what I can come up with as I am still just looking for alternate ideas.

Again, thank you for all the information.

5. Re: Easter Sunday in the Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:18