We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

We're with small kids and we will be driving from Oxford. I know it's rush, but that's all the time we get in our UK trip. Which village to do sightseeing and stay? My initial thought is to go to Bourton on the water, Upper and Lower Slaughter, but after research here, seems many ppl suggest other places like Bibury, Cirencester, i.e. towards south. Ideally we want to stay overnight in southern part, as the next day we will drive to Bath.

Please give me your comments.

Thanks

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

With small children I'd stick with Bourton-on-the-Water and the Slaughters. And Castle Combe en route to Bath.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Hello! Your children will almost certainly enjoy the Cotswold Farm Park near Stow on the Wold which has lots of animals, including some for petting, and other child oriented activities. En route you could stop briefly at Bourton and/or Burford, both of which are very attractive little places. Although thinking about it that is more than half a day.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 13:14
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Gilliganuk:

Can you tell me what could be done in Castle Combe? Seems it is highly appreciated. If we stick around Bourton on the water, would you suggest we stay overnight right at Bourton on the water or I could stay further down near Cirencester. I found some nice b&b in both places. One advantage staying near Cirencester is it saves us 20-30 mins driving to Bath on the next day. While staying at Bourton on the water will allow us to more time in that area if it is an area that deserves more time to sightseeing.

Please share your view.

thanks.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 14:53
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Sandy1949:

Yes you're perfectly correct that this area deserves more time to hung around. I used to think I could spend 2 weeks in UK, but my friends whose children love to travel with mine can't stay longer.

Anyway, thanks for suggesting Cotswold Farm Park. Do you have any ideas about Cholderton Farm near Amesbury / Salisbury? We definitely want to go to farm, kids love it. Just need to pick one.

If you were me, where will you stay? At Bourton or Cirencester? I'm trying to find a farm house accommodation as kids could have close look at farm animals right on spot, perhaps save us a trip to a farm park. But I have been contacting farm house, most replied me they're already full (mid August). There's one in Marborough, but it think its location is not en-route based on my itinerary.

Please share your view.

Thanks.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

BTW, really thanks for your quick reply on this new post. I was actually asking about Oxford, Bath and Stonehenge Itinerary in Bath forum, but thinking that perhaps someone here could also help as maybe you're all experts in this area of UK.

On next day heading to Bath, I am thinking whether I could visit Stonehenge in afternoon say 4:30p.m. , or I should spend some time in the afternoon visiting an area away from Bath that worths a short stop but on the route to Stonehenge. Then I could delay Stonehenge to next next day morning before heading back to Oxford.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Sandy1949 and others:

If we have to choose only one to do, which would you recommend, Cotswold Wildlife Park or Cotswold Farm Park? Both sounds great to us. But we could only do one in one day. Anyone knows if there're milking activities for children at Cotswold Farm Park? Thanks.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

It's a long time since I went to Cotswold Wildlife Park, andI wasn't with a young child. So far asI recall it was a great place to visit, but more like a zoo than a farm. The clue is on the names of these places. I would prefer the farm for a young child but the wildlife Park is an excellent alternative if more convenient for your itinerary

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Quite different:

CFP = sheep, tractors, rare farm breeds;

CWP = more exotic animals, more of a safari or zoo type park with a little train running through it.

Would depend on kids' ages; my two are 12 and 8 and would choose CWP over CFP now, although we liked CWP too when they were toddlers.

Cirencester is my nearest town and it's a proper English market town; decent shops, food, etc, but not as picture box 'pretty' as somewhere like Bibury, Fairford, Lechlade, Moreton, Stow etc. What day of the week are you planning on being here?

Chedworth might have someone with a farm accommodation - you have the ROman Villa there too seeing as you are taking in Bath later.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

Just found this guide to markets in the area if you were around during one of these days in one of these places.http://www.go-stow.co.uk/listing.asp?listID=58

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
423 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If only half day in Cotswold, which village?

happyinyournappy and Sandy1949:

Thanks so much for your quick response. We will have two 6 years old and one 8 years old. The two girls prefer farm, while the boy prefer Zoo. So difficult. I try to figure if I could do Cotswold Wildlife after we leave Oxford on the way, then do Cotswold Farm on the next day morning before we head off to Bath. But I think the adults will miss out the good part in Bourton and Bath, as it's way too rush to do bath just for 3-4 hours. So I tend to just pick one, either Wildlife or Farm. But since we have 2 children vote for Farm, so likely farm. I have been thinking if I could stay in a Farm like accommodation on Aug 12 or 13, then perhaps the activities in Farm could somehow make up the farm part, then we could go to the Wildlife as this wildlife seems very exotic.....so many zoo animals walking pass the Manor, what a fascinating view!

But then I found out it is extremely difficult to book a farm accommodation that fits us 4 adults an 3 children. Most farm houses I contacted replied me they are full. Or they replied me they're not working farm anymore. Wow. So I'm thinking if we couldn't stay at a farm accommodation, then we have to spend a few hours at a farm park.

Anyone have further comments? Thanks.