We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

My husband and I are planning a trip to the UK for next May 2014. We will be in London for 3 nights and then take the train to Oxford to rent a car. We will have 1-2 nights to explore the Cotswold area before driving up to Windermere. Our points of interest include Woodstock, Upper and Lower Slaughter and Tewksbury. We would also like to stop in Liverpool on the way to the Lake District. Where is a good place to stay 1 or 2 nights and still have time to stop in Liverpool (to experience the history of the Beatles, etc) on our way to Windermere? I thought about staying 1 night in the Cotswold area, and 1 night in Liverpool, but I don't know if I want to unpack and then pack up again.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

If you stay in Liverpool try the Hard Days Night Hotel - www.harddaysnighthotel.com

Edited: 06 June 2013, 18:07
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

Chipping Campden would be a good place stay: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g187068-Chipping_C…

In Liverpool, Sefton Villa B&B is good: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g186337-d…

It has off-street parking, and it's an easy bus trip into Liverpool from Sefton Park. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

If you want to see Liverpool why not stay somewhere near the motorway , just outsidemLiverpool and take the train in?

If all you need is a Premier Inn type accomodation then I suggest the Premier Inn at Rainhill or Micklehead Green

Both are just off Junction 7 of the M62 Motorway, which connects with the M6 and will probably be the route you will take to travel North from the Cotswolds.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1727850-d571…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g227131-d5…

Both have plenty of parking and a half decent restaurant/pub attached

They are just minutes from the Park and Ride railway Station at Lea Green. The train from Lea Green will have you into Liverpool City Centre in half an hour.

No hassle driving in, no getting lost no need to pay expensive car parking,

You can explore the city all day, then take the train back late evening and the next morning you will be able to make an early start for the Lakes as you will be right on the Motorway system and it will save you perhaps a thirty or even fourty minute drive out of Liverpool during morning rush hour.

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/leg/details.html

Edited: 08 June 2013, 10:04
Harrogate
Level Contributor
219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

Although it is a year or so since I last visited, I have always enjoyed staying at the Castle Inn at Castle Combe. This is a good base for visiting Bath and the Cotswolds and the village is worth a day's walking round and enjoying in itself. Not too far from the M5 when you want to head North

5. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 December 2015, 12:48
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

Thanks for the tips!

The reason for visiting Woodstock and the Slaughters is more for the beauty of the region. I want to visit Tewkesbury for family history. My great grandfathers were from Tewkesbury. We won't be taking the time to visit Blenheim this trip. Just want to enjoy the surroundings.

I will check out Winchcombe and Chipping Campden for accomodations. We have decided to stay in Liverpool down by the Albert docks to explore that area.

Thanks again!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

The Albert Dock?

Great choice, everything within walking distance

Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

If you want the beatles experience whilst in Liverpool I would look at The Hard Days Night Hotel, which is right in the centre of Liverpool but a 15 min walk or 5 min taxi to the docks area.

S

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

You could consider staying in Tewkesbury itself - although not as touristy as places such as Broadway or Chipping Campden, it has some reasonable accommodation, restaurants and attractions: tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g187060-Tewkesbur…

Edited: 09 June 2013, 07:09
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on the way to Liverpool/Lake District

Thanks so much for all of your help!- I have booked The Broadway Hotel in Broadway and the Days Inn in Liverpool. We will have plenty of time to explore the Cotswold region before heading on to Liverpool!