We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a good program?

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Is this a good program?

We are researching the Cotswolds and plan to do a three to four night stay, following three nights in Bath. We are trying to do this without using a car, traveling mostly by train between major points and by bus or walking from our central locations. I found this program for exploring by public transportation on one of the Cotswold Tourism Board sites and was hoping for some feedback about it. Sometimes tourism boards can be a bit overenthusiatic about areas that they are trying to promote, and I'd like to know if this is as worthwhile as it sounds. Moreton-in-Marsh is certainly easily done by train, and that is a plus, but I've seen some less than enthusiastic reviews here about it. That said, it sounds, from the itinerary below, to be a good central location with good transport links, if what is outlined is, in fact, practical and doable.

Home » Visitor Info » Cotswolds Discoverer ticket » Out and about from Moreton

Out and About from Moreton in Marsh

The following is a suggested 3-day itinerary for a short break based in Morton in Marsh. It is designed so that each day a different part of the Cotswolds can be explored using public transport - a combination of rail and bus.

DAY 1: Into the ancient forest of Wychwood

Travel by train from Moreton to the small market town of Charlbury on the Cotswold Line. Charlbury is snugly situated in the Evenlode Valley well away from busy main roads. It looks across the valley to the fine 600 acre Cornbury Park estate almost surrounded by the great woodlands of Wychwood Forest. Whilst in Charlbury, pay a visit to Cornbury Park, owned by Lord & Lady Rotherwick, part of which is a National Nature Reserve where many forms of wildlife, including fallow deer, roam freely. Access to the reserve is via a public footpath which runs through the forest.

Take the return train to Moreton

DAY 2: A walk on the Cotswold Way from Chipping Campden to Broadway

Take the bus service 21/22 (Johnson's Coaches) to Chipping Campden

Walk the Cotswold Way over Dover's Hill - the site of the Cotswold Olympick Games which takes place in June each year and first held in 1612.

Take in the fine views across 16 counties from Broadway Tower/

Drop down into Broadway – enjoy a well deserved refreshment in one of many excellent restaurants, inns and tea rooms.

Return to Moreton in Marsh by bus service 21/22

Day 3: Travel the Fosse – in the footsteps of the Romans

Take the Pulham's bus service 801 from Moreton to Stow-on-the-Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water and Northleach.

Stop off at each of these classic, picturesque Cotswold towns and explore their hidden delights.

Return from Northleach to Moreton

1. Re: Is this a good program?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 16:00
Edited: 29 December 2015, 16:00
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,368 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a good program?

I don't see why it wouldn't work well as long as you have current timetables. Moreton-in-Marsh's only problem is that it isn't tiny and picturesque; I didn't see anything "wrong" with it otherwise, and it has an extensive market--I think Tuesday? (Heavy on the cheap tat, but still festive.) Its also an easy walk from Moreton to Batsford Arboretum, which I was sorry to have missed.

Other than Dover's Point, I thought the part of the Cotswold Way from CC to Broadway was not the prettiest--although it has the advantage of being mostly straightforward! but the walk up to Broadway Tower is wonderful

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a good program?

There's nothing wrong with Moreton, it's not the prettiest of the Cotswold villages, but has some nice buildings and good shops. Your plan looks very well thought out, as long as you know bus and train times o.k. You will be seeing the most popular villages, it's a pity you can't fit in Burford, it's one of my favourites.

Not sure what month you are visiting, but please bring wet weather clothing just in case, and in or after September the weather can get very cool in the evenings.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this a good program?

Thanks for the responses - we are planning to come in early May, 2014 so I have plenty of time to tweak the itinerary. At this point, we know we are going to do Bath first, for three days, but are pretty open about where our 'center' for the Cotswolds will be. We do want to be able to reach it by train, if possible, and have also thought about some of the larger towns like Cheltenham and Swindon and then using the buses to get to the more picturesque areas for walking. Moreton seemed like a good compromise and this looked like a decent sampling for a first time trip to this area. We want to do as much walking as we can manage but don't think we are quite up to the 'point to point' walking tours - we can do 4 or 5 miles a day, and more on paved level ground, but most of the tours have at least one or two days with 8 to 15 and that's a little much at our ages. I know we are going to miss a good bit, but also feel like we can always come back again for a different area.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 06:44
5. Re: Is this a good program?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 16:00
6. Re: Is this a good program?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 06:19