We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Hi,

We are driving from Bath and only have one day to spend in the Cotswolds and can't decide which village to visit. Is it possible to visit more than one in a day? Or best to just choose one village to really explore? Which village is most quaint and not overrun with tourists?

Thanks so much for your help!

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
143 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

The tourists flock to the most quaint villages because they're the most quaint! If your base is in Bath you should perhaps concentrate on the South Cotswolds. Within a days driving you can easily reach Tetbury or Cirencester, and maybe further on to Bourton on the Water, Stow on the Wold or Burford.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

You are driving from Bath to where? Back to Bath again?

Rather unspoilt by the crowds are villages like Snowshill, Guiting Power, Duntisbourne, Minster Lovell, Little Barrington, Shilton, Broad Campden and Chipping Campden.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Out home base is Bath, so we'll be driving back there each night. Is it possible to visit more than one village in a day? Or it is better just to spend an entire day in one village?

Thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

What is it you want to do in this village?

Most people drive there, park up, look at the shops (if there are any), have a drink or meal, and then move on. Others go to villages and then walk around the surrounding countryside.

And others just drive around seeing lots of villages and never stop. It's up to you.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

I agree with EmmaandJay Bourton on the Water and Stow on the Wold are nice for a stroll around and a pub lunch or something.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Bourton on the Water, Stow and Burford are often completely overun with tourists. Henneth's suggestions are good.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

I think we're just looking to stroll around, look at shops and the scenery. I've never visited the area and am wondering if the Cotswolds are really must-see destinations? I'm also looking at Wells, in Somerset, which looks like a gorgeous market town. So, I guess the question is: are the Cotswolds really worth seeing?

Thanks, all!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

The quiet towns and villages are lovely places to see - but most tourists gravitate towards a few places which have become spoilt in my opinion.

PNW
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
70 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Wells is a different experience than going to villages, so here are some thoughts that might help you decide. Wells Cathedral is gorgeous and IMO lovelier than Bath Abbey but you can have a similar experience at both. Vicars' Close in Wells is a well-preserved medieval street; beautiful and doesn't take much time to see. I didn't go in the Bishop's Palace so can't comment. I found the remainder of the town fine and not remarkable.

Again IMO, the Cotswolds villages are the loveliest you'll see anywhere. That's why they can be more touristed. Villages are wonderful for strolling and gazing at the absurdly pretty cottages, perhaps taking a short walk on a footpath to see the countryside, and having a meal in a pub that's so old you may need to duck your head to avoid hitting the beams.

I saw from your Bath post that you'll be there mid-week which will help with crowds. It appears you're from LA and might not even notice :-). Don't know how far you want to drive, nor if you're aware that driving non-motorway (freeway) roads in England is challenging for the average American. Lovely Cotswold and Cotswold-like towns reasonably near are Castle Combe and Lacock. If you choose to go further north, Bourton-on-the-Water is stunning and large enough to have shops and attractions, while the nearby Slaughters are small and exquisite so you could have a taste of both.

I personally would make Wells your destination if you want a town and cathedral experience and if you go into the Cotswolds do the villages rather than Cirencester. Nothing wrong with Cirencester, just Wells would have the edge.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just 1 Day to Spend in the Cotswolds

Yes, we'll be there on a Wednesday in late Sept so I'm hoping most tourists will be gone by then. We are driving and hoping it doesn't pose too much of a challenge! I'm now trying to decide between Stow, Chipping Camden, and Bourton on the Water. All look charming--but how to choose?

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds