We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to rent a car

Charleston, South...
1 post
Save Topic
best place to rent a car

Hello, My husband and I are wanting to rent a car in London on a Sunday, Oct. 20th and travel to our next destination in Broadwell, Stow on the Wold. We will be staying there until the 24th. Not sure of the best place for easy pick up and return in London. We will be leaving from London on the 24th to go to Paris from the Pancras train station. On the 20th we will be staying at the Radisson Blu Vanderbilt hotel which is in South Kensington area. Any ideas?

1. Re: best place to rent a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 December 2015, 14:34
Edited: 31 December 2015, 14:34
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to rent a car

We were in England recently. I did not want to pick up our rental car in London. Too hard to navigate, no need to do it! You want to pick up your car a bit outside of London. (Also there is a "congestion" fee for all cars driving within central London.)

I think the Heathrow suggestion is good, since it's in the westerly direction. It's also well-served by public transportation from/to London. Another idea for you is to simply take a train all the way from London to Bath. You could pick up and return your car there, and it would be a pretty ride from Bath into the Cotswolds. The train ride is only 1.5 hours and goes frequently. Although Oxford seems like a good idea, too.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to rent a car

Bath or Oxford - both easily accessible by train from London - just return the car to your pick up point and catch a return train - save any navigation issues and stress

have a great trip !

4. Re: best place to rent a car

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 December 2015, 14:34
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to rent a car

There's no congestion charge if you hire or return a car at the hire places around Kings Cross or Edgware Rd,

But if you're returning from the southern Cotswolds (and I appreciate the OP's said nothing to imply she is) along the M4 it's easy accidentally to stray into the congestion charge area returning to Kings Cross and ignoring the "Warning! You're about to hit the congestion charge zone signs" .

Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to rent a car

Angela, you sound like you're doing the same itinerary my husband and I are planning next spring! We'll be landing at Heathrow and we're thinking of taking a bus to Oxford before renting a car.

www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=24

But does anyone know the best way to get to the car rental agencies? Are there taxis we could take from the last bus stop at the green?

We were thinking of dropping the car off in Luton and flying to Paris instead of taking the Chunnel train, since we've done that before. Any suggestions?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to rent a car

Hi AngelaChs and Nancy2Travel, and welcome,

Picking a car up at one point and dropping at another nearly always incurs an extra charge, sometimes exorbitant.

Some car hire firms will pick you up from a station and drive you to their office.

After searching for a suitable company then ask on trip advisor about it FIRST as there are some disreputable companies (including some branches of national franchises)

Enjoy your holiday

Bob

8. Re: best place to rent a car

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds