We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Stay

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Castle Stay

Hi -

My family of 4 will be in England and Wales at the end of November. We would really like to stay a night or two in a castle - preferably not one that host conferences, weddings, has jacuzzi tubs, etc. We're looking for as authentic as we can get, although don't want to sleep on a stone floor :<). A castle with history would be a plus too.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle Stay

Not entirely sure why you are posting this in the Cotswolds forum.

You can stay at Thornbury Castle, but they *do* have conferences from time to time. Realistically, any place that big, that is open to overnight visitors, is likely to have conferences, weddings and the like.

http://www.thornburycastle.co.uk/facilities/

One place you might consider, not in the Cotswolds, is Hampton Court Palace. You can stay there, as a family.

hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/planyourvisit/…

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle Stay

Never heard of one in the Cotswolds. But Thornbury is not too far away

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle Stay

As you are covering a lot of ground, you might do a google search, to narrow things down..."Castle Stay England" that sort of thing.

Your budget will help too.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle Stay

Have a look at the pub at Edge Hill near Chipping Norton. I think it's called The Castle, it looks authentic, and I think it has accommodation. At least worth investigating

Edited: 12 October 2013, 17:45
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle Stay

To prevent any wedding or conference taking place while you are there just book all the rooms yourself. Any hotel than bans such events is likely to go bankrupt.

The 21st (not to mention 13th-20th) century has arrived. You won't find a perfectly preserved medieval castle with no mod cons open to the public for residence. Plumbing and heating tend to be appreciated. You might like them too.

Not in the Cotswolds but Hampton Court Palace does sleep overs for about £100. This does involve sleeping on the floor and no heating, plus some kind of tour (I suspect gruesome and ghost themed at this time of year) plus evening meal and breakfast. Have a look on their website to see if this is what you want.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 20:22
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle Stay

My son and I stayed at Thornbury Castle for two nights last August and enjoyed it very much. Not having stayed in any other castles, I can't compare its "authenticity". However, if you look at the website and photos and reviews on TA, I think you will see it manages to combine wonderful history, furnishings and grounds with modern conveniences and great service and food. Depending on the ages of your family members, I believe family rooms are available, as well as the gatekeeper's cottage as a self-contained unit. The four-poster bedrooms and suites look wonderful and heighten the castle atmosphere.

As far as I could see, the conference and function rooms were in another wing from our accommodation. You could always request rooms away from the function areas if this was of concern.

We found Thornbury Castle well placed, arriving by car from Shropshire and Wales; making a day trip to Bath; and then driving on to the Cotswolds and our next accommodation in Mickelton. I think it would be difficult if you were using public transport.

Hope this helps :-)

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle Stay

Thank you for the information - it is appreciated. Some of you seem to take yourselves a bit too seriously though. I asked for information - not rude comments. My post was meant to be light-hearted.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle Stay

<<<< My post was meant to be light-hearted >>>>

So were the replies which you apparently deem to be rude

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,899 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle Stay

Hampton Court may do sleepovers for school groups where you sleep on the floor, but the link I mentioned would not require anything of the sort. The accommodations are far nicer--with a price to match.

landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/propert…

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,602 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castle Stay

http://www.lordsofthemanor.com/

Not exactly a castle, but a manor house....could be interesting?