We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on deciding where to stay

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on deciding where to stay

I had originally thought about booking at The White Hart Royal Hotel in Moreton in Marsh, but our nights of stay are for a Monday and Tuesday in April, 2014. After reading other forum posts, I am concerned about the Market in Moreton in Marsh on Tuesday, as it sounds like it becomes rather crowded in the village.

Should I contemplate staying elsewhere? Perhaps Burford? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

1. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 22:08
Edited: 12 January 2016, 22:08
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

Moreton-in-Marsh has an attractive High Street but lying on the edge of the Cotswolds it has a large amount of brick houses, modern structures and a look that isn't characteristic of the Cotswolds in any way. Just look down the side streets and you could be anywhere.

I'd choose Burford over Moreton, anyway. Or Chipping Campden or Broadway.

El Dorado Hlls, CA
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

Thanks. I was contemplating Burford as well. I will also look into Broadway and Chipping Camden.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

I really wouldn't worry about the market, but tend to agree that Burford and Chipping Campden are more interesting bases. Chipping Campden is for me, quintessential Cotswolds, and slightly less touristy than other options. Some great hotels there too.

To be honest, as long as you have a car, the north Cotswolds is a pretty compact area, so I would chose based on hotel deals and visit the other villages. For good quality accommodation (White Hart kind of standard and above) the best website is www.cotswoldhotelbreaks.com - they actually have people who will talk to you too, and seem to know what they're talking about - something you don't get so much these days imho.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

If you have a car, there is a hotel in between Chipping Campden and Broadway. Very nice if you plan on walking to either of them.

http://dormyhouse.co.uk/

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

If you want a quintessential Cotswolds town with plenty shops but beautiful buildings, restaurants, pubs and ambience for me it has to be first Chipping Camden, second Burford. CC is very near Moreton in Marsh but much less busy, Burford is further south nearer Oxford and Blenheim Palace (both must visits) If you want smaller more village type places with a couple of eating places but also beautiful try the Slaughters or Great Rissington as examples.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

I stayed in Chipping Campden in July and it was lovely. Very quiet at night … almost too quiet if you're in the mood for a pint. There are shops and restaurants to keep you busy during the day and you can head into the neighborhoods for a scenic stroll as well.

8. Re: Need help on deciding where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds
Recent Conversations