We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Hello!

Would like to get some help and advices regarding road trip from London to Cotswold in late December. We are a group of 6 friends and planning to travel just right after Xmas, from 28th - 30th dec. Thinking of spending 2 hours from London to a local village (maybe Bibury?) on the first day and chill for the rest of the day there seeing local stuffs and the second day will be exploring another further village ( not sure where) with hopefully some scenic roads along the drive..

Would like to see some quaint towns, good pubs/breakfast/brunch and immerse in the local Cotswold culture/feel. Not quite sure if there is much going on though for the period we are intending to travel..

Would very much appreciate if some kind souls can provide some tips about what's the best roads and villages to stopby.. Given the short span of period we have (only 3 days), Cotswolds seems to be the only reasonable place for a quick getaway.

Many thanks in advance!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Not sure you'll find enough in Bibury to 'chill for the rest of the day' - a couple of hours maybe. I'd be inclined to move on somewhere bigger - maybe Bourton on the Water - for the two nights and do more trips from there

2. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 14:46
Edited: 13 January 2016, 14:46
midlands UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Hi- I'm going to give my usual 'shout out' for towns and villages south of Cheltenham. Cirencester would be my choice as it is picturesque, lots of good cafés, bars and shops as well as good places to go for a walk - Cirencester Park, the Abbey grounds for example. It's not far from Bibury either and an easy drive from other pretty towns and villages such as Tetbury, as well as the North Cotswolds places. Have a good trip!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

There are plenty of options !

One could be to be based in Burford, and then do short trips. Bibury is worth seeing but I agree with the other posters it is not worth a full day. Therefore it could be combined with a visit to Northleach, Bourton or Stow. You could also visit Woodstock or Minster Lovell too

If you set-up base in Chipping Campden then you can also visit Broadway, Moreton & Winchcombe

Or you could stay in one of the major towns eg Cheltenham or Cirencester ( or even Oxford ) and do day trips from there

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

I love Bibury but I wouldn't choose to stay there.

My choice would be Bourton-on-the-Water or Burford.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Hi all, thanks a lot for your replies, especially about Bibury!!

Initially I was thinking about renting 2 different cottages at 2 diff locations for each day but it looks like most of the cottages have a minimum stay of 2 / 3 days so probably we will set up base in bourton on water (thanks for the recommendation!) and travel out from there.

Maybe London - bibury and final stopby at bourton on water on the first day, and travel up north for the second day to chipping etc?

Fatbear2000, thanks for the location suggestion too - I will do further research on them!! :)

Anyone has idea about Stroud? Found a lovely cottage there and thinking about possibility of having Stroud as base rather than Bourton (still trying to find a suitable cottage in Bourton area - most of them have minimum days of stay that don't suit us)

Also - Do u know If we should be taking any extra precaution about the road travel in Cotswolds in late dec - besides being cautious about weather?

Thanks for all your helpful comments! :)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Never actually been to Stroud so can't comment on what is there. As long as you don't mind driving a bit longer then it could be fine.

It does give you another option though, in that a few years ago a friend of mine used Stroud as a base to visit the Forest of Dean !

Edited: 17 November 2013, 09:24
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Stroud is a bit on the larger side but a good base for the Golden Valleys, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Uley and Owlpen Manor plus the breathtaking views from Coaley Peak.

midlands UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

Hi. Stroud centre is 'characterful' rather than being a 'manicured' chocolate box Cotswold town. It is a working town rather than being an obvious tourist destination. However, the surrounding areas are beautiful - I prefer the scenery here to the North Cotswolds. Stroud is at the centre of the 'Five Valleys' each of which offer delightful walks and some pretty small towns and villages such as Minchinhampton, Chalford Hill, (try the Lavender Bakehouse for delicious cakes), Slad, Sheepscombe (Butchers Arms for a pub lunch), Painswick, Nailsworth and Bisley. Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons offer lovely views and walks too. You will never be short of delicious meals at surrounding pubs. Good luck with choosing!

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
390 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from London to Cotswolds villages

In response to your question whether you should take any "extra precaution" about driving to the Cotswolds in December - no, you shouldn't have anything to worry about - you can drive all the way from London to Bourton on motorway and A roads which will be kept clear whatever the weather. The only thing to be slightly careful about is ice if you drive on some of the very small back roads if the weather is very cold - not all roads get salted / gritted.

Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds