We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Does anyone know of a car hire anywhere at all near the Cotswolds open for a return on Sundays? I am really stuck here, I was planning on picking up Friday and returning it on Sunday, but no one seems to be open. I am worried about driving out of the bigger towns ie Worcester, Birmingham as I have never driven in the UK. Maybe it's not tricky? I am taking a train from Wales to SUA but it's flexible where I come in- but I am booked to stay in Chipping Campden for the two days before heading to London by train or other means on Sunday. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Drop off at Heathrow and take the tube in to London?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

These do out of hours drop offs

thomsonlocal.com/Evesham-Self-Drive-Ltd/…

Evesham car hire

Not a recommendation though as I have never used them

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Didn't we do this yesterday?

Same suggestion as then - train to Birmingham International (probably changing at New Street if you're coming from Wales). Train station is right by the airport. Hiring a car from there doesn't involve 'driving out of Birmingham' as you're already right by the motorway.

Drop off at Heathrow as suggested above. Again, you don't drive into London as Heathrow is outside to the west and you have an easy tube journey to central London.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 00:52
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,054 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Not a problem at all driving to Heathrow. In the alternative, we picked up a hire car in Bath on a Sunday. I think it was with Europcar.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

I realize my question is very similar to yesterday's. I did not feel I conveyed very well that I was open to any city anywhere around the Cotswolds for arriving to pick up. As well as any other transportation possibilities. And I was hoping to get an idea of the driving situation from any other cities. Bath could be another option.

Sorry this is annoying to people, I just want to explore all possible options.

As far as driving to Heathrow, the motorway seems big and I am wary of driving on the opposite side and possible roundabouts etc. I have driven in L.A. no problem, but for some reason this freaks me out just a tad ;)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

You are actually better on a motorway .

All traffic going in same direction , no roundabouts , more or less all at same speed.

Just keep to the left, don't hog the middle lane, don't undertake / pass vehicles on the inside or their left hand side. Our lorries drive at a constant 56mph and are confined to the first two inside lanes and its not a great idea to travel along at 50mph in the first or second lane IMHO

If you have driven in LA then you should be used ok.

Might be a good idea to give more info on where in Wales you are going and the direction you are coming back into England from.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Yeah motorways are the least of your worries, it's the one place you won't find roundabouts and the traffic is all going the same way.

Tight country lanes and small towns with ludicrous one way systems are likely to actually freak you out more!

Hence why I think it would be easier to pick up and drop off at airports where the car hire places are (a) going to be very well signposted and (b) straight access to/from a motorway. Navigating your way to/from an obscure hire place that won't be signposted at all probably in some industrial estate seems harder to me.

Also bear in mind that standard hire cars in the UK won't be automatic, so if that's a requirement for you bear that in mind. If that is the case, a larger hire place with more selection also makes sense.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Doesn't seem so bad now :). Leuca- am planning a train from Aberystwyth to Birmingham most likely now or Stratford upon Avon, and on to London driving or drop in Birmingham then train to London.

Thanks all!!!!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Hi: There is a National Car Rental office in Oxford that is open on Sundays. It is approx. one hour's drive from Oxford to Chipping Campden.

Virginia
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire open Sunday?? Anywhere near the Cotswolds? ideas??

Hi: A couple of additional thoughts. We stayed two weeks in Chipping Campden last year, and I did not want to drive directly from Heathrow after a red-eye flight. We took the Oxford Bus Company bus from Heathrow to Gloucester Green bus station in Oxford, and then took a taxi for the short ride to the car rental office. We are repeating that process again this year. I just don't want the stress of driving on motorways after just getting off a plane. The bus is easy and relaxing, and it's a simple and less-stressful drive from Oxford to the Cotswolds. Also, the car rental office is located in an office/industrial park that has lots of parking lots for you to practice with the car before you get out on the road. We rent through Kemwel.com, which is a US firm. We have gotten GREAT rates; our three-week rental in May/June this year is just a little over $400 for a compact, manual-transmission car.

We

Get answers to your questions about Cotswolds