We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring visit to the Cotswolds

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Spring visit to the Cotswolds

I will be heading to the Cotswolds for 2 or 3 days on March 31st and am looking for the usual advice on where to base myself and what sites and villages are absolute "must sees".

For my accommodation I am very much looking to stay away from the larger towns like Cheltenham and Gloucester and enjoy the coziness of the quintessential Cotswolds villages. I'm not looking to break the bank on a place to stay as I imagine my days will be spent exploring, however I would like a clean and comfortable inn or bed and breakfast to come home to at the end of the day. I would not object to staying in one of the larger towns for a night if anyone were to recommend a place they thought was great.

I would also love to know where might be a great spot for high tea. I love the idea of visiting a beautiful English Country Manor in the afternoon for tea and taking in the country scenery.

Also, I have rented a car and absolutely love a good country drive.

Any recommendations on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham
Cheltenham
Cotswolds, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Lunch in the Cotswolds from London
410 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Downton Abbey Village, Blenheim...
74 Reviews
from US$116.50*
Oxford, Stratford Upon Avon and...
33 Reviews
from US$68.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Oxford, Cotswolds...
90 Reviews
from US$205.90*
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

"I would also love to know where might be a great spot for high tea."

I think that you probably mean afternoon tea:

…about.com/od/faq/f/highteavafttea.htm

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

This might be a start. The Romantic Road was invented for tourists, but nonetheless it goes through some nice places and might give you some ideas: the-cotswolds.org/top/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

I am no expert on the Cotswolds but on my last visit there the small town that I found the most interesting was Stow on the Wold and that would also make a reasonably good base for you. Sorry can't help with accommodation.

Hidcote Manor, one of England's most famous gardens is in the area if you like that sort of thing.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

There is a big difference between "High Tea" and "Afternoon Tea".

Afternoon tea will generally be the classic pot of tea with scones, cream and jam found in country tea rooms across the country.

High tea is more formal with cake stand filled with small cakes and fancies, along with triangular cut sandwiches and the ever present pot of teas. You'd be more likely to find this version in more 'up market' establishments.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

We were in Bourton on the Water yesterday and the Dial House does both cream teas and high teas with sandwiches. They weren't serving yesterday so it would be worth phoning ahead to check. We drove on to asking Kingham where we had a lovely cream tea at the Mill House Hotel.

Perth
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

Bibury Court Hotel in Bibury is much recommended for High tea. Costs a bit, but well worth it.

Bibury is a must see village in the cotswolds.

Others include Broadway, Upper and Lower Slaughter to mention a few.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 14:35
Mentioned in this post
Bibury
Bibury
Cotswolds, UK
Broadway
Broadway
Cotswolds, UK
Lower Slaughter
Lower Slaughter
Cotswolds, UK
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

"High tea is more formal with cake stand filled with small cakes and fancies, along with triangular cut sandwiches and the ever present pot of teas. You'd be more likely to find this version in more 'up market' establishments."

Read my link in post 1, high tea is a proper meal usually including meat (what we now call dinner).

Edited: 17 March 2014, 23:17
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

Thanks for the tips. So far I've booked two nights in Stow on the Wold and am still hunting for a third and maybe fourth night elsewhere. Very much looking forward to it, suggestions are still welcome on anything Cotswolds related!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

Bibury Court would meet your brief, but it no longer does teas, except on Sundays or for parties of ten or more.

Not all isolated country hotels round here (which is what pass for "a beautiful English Country Manor in the afternoon for tea") offer formal afternoon tea, and it's usually at more or less London prices when they do. The Lords of the Manor at Lower Slaughter, for example, is at least £20, and Barnsley House (in Barnsley) is about the same. Check any list of posh Cotswold hotels, see if they do tea, then choose wherever fits into your plans - after reading their website carefully.

The Mill House serves decent grub, which no doubt means good afternoon tea (personally I'm allergic to this silly pseudo-meal), but by no stretch of anyone's imagination could it be taken for "a beautiful English Country Manor". It's like most places that are popular round here for afternoon tea (the market leader, in volume, is the Burford branch of Huffkin's): not a hit of chintz, overstuffed armchairs or poncey china, unpretentious furniture (mostly pine), briskish service in a slightly huggermugger environment, and reasonable prices. Like most tea shops have been for the past century, and the kind of place the Downton cast would consider strictly for the oiks

Nothing wrong with Downton Experience (which is what Bibury Court does on Sundays) . It just isn't what the Mill House, or the tearooms of most National Trust properties (the other kind of place round here where people who want afternoon tea gravitate to), actually offer.

Mentioned in this post
Lower Slaughter
Lower Slaughter
Cotswolds, UK
Burford
Burford
Cotswolds, UK
Downton
Downton
Wiltshire, UK
midlands UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring visit to the Cotswolds

Hello - have a look at Buckland Manor near Broadway for afternoon tea. My mum has been there and said it is beautiful; she then walked over fields along a public footpath into Broadway, so that would be an option to work off all those calories afterwards! You could look at some good b and bs there as it is a pretty base. If you wanted a b and b that was very secluded, I would go for the Ebrington Arms; it's in a pretty, tiny village within easy driving distance of other pretty Cotswold places - Chipping Campden 93 miles), Stow, Bourton, Hidcote Manor etc. The pub does lovely meals too.

http://www.theebringtonarms.co.uk/

http://www.bucklandmanor.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Broadway
Broadway
Cotswolds, UK
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK