We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 3 villages?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best 3 villages?

We are wondering what the best 3 villages or towns in the Cotswolds would be to visit. We are interested in seeing the thatched roof cottages, the quaintest village, row housing and maybe one with a great view of the open fields.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best 3 villages?

I'd start with Bibury

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best 3 villages?

You won't find many thatched cottages in the Cotswolds. Chipping Campden and Minster Lovell are two of the relatively few that spring to mind. Other than that, the roofing is made of stone. For one of the least visited, but most attractive of Cotswold villages, try Shilton. Or Guiting Power.

I assume you have your own bicycle or car.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best 3 villages?

Why the Cotswolds ? As Henneth says, you won't find as many thatched cottages there as, say, North Devon. Plenty of tourists though !

Mike

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best 3 villages?

The OP is not interested only in thatched roof cottages but quaint villages and row housing which I think means something like Arlington Row in Bibury.

There are plenty of villages outside and near Cotswolds for thatched roofs...Long Crendon neat Thame, Little Milton near Oxford....

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best 3 villages?

cotswolds.com/travel-guide/towns-villages/to…

An alphabetical list (with information and pictures) ‎

Edited: 27 March 2014, 19:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best 3 villages?

It's not just the Cotswolds that have houses with thatched roofs. Perhaps difficult to believe, but I know of one such in the London Borough of Bromley!

What do you mean by 'row housing'?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best 3 villages?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Arlington Row has the housing we are looking for. I just looked it up. And I think we have the thatched roof cottages covered now too. How about the most picturesque village?

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best 3 villages?

"For one of the least visited, but most attractive of Cotswold villages, try Shilton. Or Guiting Power."

I repeat.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best 3 villages?

Thanks so much!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best 3 villages?

Best or most picturesque are very subjective terms. What one may think of as best or most picturesque may not at all be Universal opinion. I thought Stanton was the most picture-perfect Cotswolds village.