We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Crowborough, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

My boyfriend and I will be driving from Crowborough (East Sussex) to Manchester on Friday May 3rd, and we thought it would be nice to drive via the Cotswolds.

Any suggestions on the best town to visit and perhaps have lunch? We were thinking maybe Cheltenham or Gloucester? We would probably spend around 2 or 3 hours in the Cotswold district and then carry on to Manchester.

Cheers, Kara :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

If I was touring the Cotswolds I would be staying well away from those two towns and concentrating on the lovely small towns and villages. How about Stow on the Wold or Cirencester.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Gloucester and Cheltenham aren't in the Cotswolds, and are also a bit off your route. I'ld suggest any of these (or the smaller villages near them) will be better, if they suit your route: Burford, Bourton, Chipping Camden, broadway,

3. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 23:03
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Is that Friday 2nd May? the Friday before a bank holiday? Allow double the normal time for travelling.

Crowborough, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Yes it's the Friday before the bank holiday. It's the only time we have off of work so unfortunately we're just going to have to put up with the slow traffic :(

I like the idea of visiting the little villages. Diz, I think I'll do what you suggested and follow that route.

Cotswolds, here we come!

Cheers :)

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

I agree with Diz, I think that sounds a lovely route and you will definitely get to see some of the beautiful Cotswold countryside! Saying that, I also think Cheltenham can be a lovely place to wander around, as there are some beautiful areas, but it is still more a town for shopping and lunch rather than getting the real beauty of the Cotswolds! Enjoy!

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

I would recommend broadway lovely place nice pubs / restaurants and basically the most northerly cotswold place then an easy getaway to Manchester

Wanaka
Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Does anyone know of cheap and cheerful places to stay in the Cotswolds and surrounds. We have 4 nights

Edited: 29 April 2014, 23:50
9. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 23:03
Wanaka
Level Contributor
3 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving through the Cotswolds - where to visit?

Thanks I will do that.