We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Virginia, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Local bus fares in Cotswolds

I will be staying in Stow-on-the-Wold for several days in July without a car. I do not want to rent a car. I want to get around by walking and public transport. I know the closest train station is Moreton-in-Marsh. There are local bus services in the region-I cannot find fare information though. I know you can buy a Discover pass for 1 or 3 days, with the 1 day pass costing GBP 10. I have found timetables, but can not find info on fares. One or two short rides in a day must cost less than the Discover pass! Anyone know where I can get info on individual fares? For example, what is the fare between Moreton and Stow?

Thanks!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Fares round here, oddly, are rarely published on the web - and not very often in local papers.

The reason for this is partly that bus operators' income comes from a lot of different sources, and very few passengers - overwhelmingly local in every case - actually pay cash: most have some kind of concessionary pass, so for 90-odd percent of passengers single-journey fares are immaterial. But it doesn't help that there's been a lot of churning of operators recently, and continuing pressure on local authorities keeps reducing the subsidies taxpayers fork out..

Fares rarely (I think: I don't pay cash either, and scarcely ever see anyone else doing so) more than £2 for most 7 mile journeys.

In your case, the real alternative to the Discover pass appears to be the Moreton Train/bus pass (£2.50 a day: £3 for three days which seems to offer unlimited travel between Stow, Moreton, Bourton and Chipping Campden, but needs, for the lowest price, to be bought in conjunction with the railway ticket (http://www.railbus.co.uk/bustickets.htm)

But that site is badly out of date, and the main operator it refers to has gone out of business. The main (but not only) operator round Stow is Pulhams and you might get better info by emailing them (info@pulhamscoaches.com). DON'T email Stagecoach, which usually just isn't set up to be helpful in that way.

Virginia, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Thank-you flanneruk for the detailed explanation! I will be in Stow for 4 nights (after 2 nights in Oxford), then will go to Bath for 2 nights. I want to visit Hidcote and Kiftsgate during that time, and possibly other gardens. I will be in the last week of a 4 week trip to Scotland and England. I don't want to make a schedule for those 4 days and hope to just do whatever the weather and mood strikes me. I know I will be limited to where I can go and how long it will take to get there since I won't have a car, but that's ok. Part of the adventure is getting there!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,295 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Email Pulhams Coaches and they will be happy to give you info on the different bus fares for any journey you plan on making.

http://www.pulhamscoaches.com/

Edited: 06 June 2014, 13:17
4. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 February 2016, 14:47
Virginia, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Diz-thanks for the tip about NGS!

I am staying at the YHA hostel in Stow. It is much, much less expensive (18.50/night) than anything else I have looked at and since I am traveling solo (no one to split room or car costs with) and on a 4 week trip, I absolutely have to stay in hostels whenever possible. If you know anywhere in Moreton that is close to this price I would be interested in checking it out!

6. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Virginia, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

I emailed Pulhams and they replied almost right away (wow!). This is their reply:

The price of a single ticket between Stow and Bourton is £1.70 which you purchase on the bus with the driver. I have two options for you with regards to your tickets:

· Pulham’s weekly explorer - £23.00 includes unlimited travel on all Pulhams services over a 7 day period.

· Cotswolds Discoverer (You can buy these at Oxford station) - £25.00 includes unlimited travel on all Pulham’s services, train travel between Oxford and Moreton and travel on Johnsons services 21 and 22 for 3 days.

Since I need to pay for train fare from Oxford to Moreton anyway (price range 9.50 to 13.50), it might be worth it to get the Discoverer 3 day pass. It would also make bus travel convenient.

Anybody know if there are other bus companies in that area or would it always be either a Pulhams or Johnsons 21 and 22 bus?

8. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Virginia, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

<<It does just strike me that if you're concerned about cheap accommodation and you go with the Cotswold Discoverer, you could investigate staying on in your hostel in Oxford - it's only just over half an hour by train from Moreton, and there's a relatively regular service much later in the evening to get home.>>

That's something to think about...I added the Oxford leg into my itinerary after some plans changed and I had several extra days free between my Edinburgh leg and Cotswolds leg of my trip. I'm currently booked at Keble College in Oxford for 2 nights which I'm looking forward to. If I were to switch from staying in Stow, and stay in Oxford for 4 more nights, I would have to find a hostel (there are a couple) for those 4 additional nights in Oxford (again, cost consideration). I was looking forward to staying at a "lovely Cotswold village". Is it just a lot of hype? Also, I think the hostels in Oxford are larger and probably noisier, and possibly less safe to leave my stuff all day in a dorm room (just speculating...don't plan on leaving anything of value anyway).

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,295 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local bus fares in Cotswolds

Stow is a pretty little town with some interesting shops (and pubs!). I'd think you would have a very nice stay there. Personally I'd leave your plans as they are.