We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best pub?

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Best pub?

Hello we'll be spending a couple of days in Bourton OTW just after Christmas and wondered if you could suggest a wonderful, quirky, real fired, atmospheric pub for a drink or two. One that doesn't mind a couple of kids tagging along too! This would save us traipsing around in the cold and dark - thank you ☺

11 replies to this topic
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best pub?

All the pubs I have visited in Bourton have keen good, have a look at link below, sure this will help with decision. There is also a British Legion Club, where you would be made welcome 🙂

https://www.character-cottages.co.uk/news/7-…

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
1,585 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best pub?

I have been into 4 of them and was also in the Old Manse yesterday and i personally found the Duke Of Wellington to be my favourite....great atmosphere,an excellent rear garden where the River Windrush passes inches away,good "pub grub"at affordable prices...and is also family friendly too.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,363 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best pub?

We loved the Duke of Wellington a few years back, shane. The beer garden was wonderful, and we had a great chat with the landlady who seemed a lovely person and, as you say, very welcoming to families.

Edited: 01 December 2017, 17:36
Bourton-on-the-Water...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best pub?

There is not a British Legion club in Bourton on the Water. Best pub in the area is the Lamb Inn at Great Rissington. Bourton pubs are disappointing in value and quality.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best pub?

deana

The original poster was asking for Christmas last year so has been and gone I guess!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,363 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best pub?

This is true, but deana seems keen to help and provide information, which can only be admired :-)

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best pub?

We often advise posters to browse through previous threads, so to update a generalised query like this I think is helpful.

It is good to see contributions from someone with detailed local knowledge, especially in The Cotswolds, which is probably 2nd most active forum after London. I've never been in a pub in Bourton so couldn't contribute, although I've danced(?) in the British Legion.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
515 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best pub?

"Bourton pubs are disappointing in value and quality."

That was certainly the case when we used to frequent the area. We used to like the Queens Head in Stow on the Wold but I understand it's under new management and has changed a lot? We sold our cottage in 2014 and haven't been there since.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
71,363 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best pub?

As I said last year, we enjoyed the Duke of Wellington and I think it compares well with pubs in other towns and villages I've been to.

I wasn't so taken with the Mousetrap Inn and I didn't like the Kingsbridge much at all, but the Old Manse was OK. Things can change quickly in publand, though, and if I were to visit Bourton again today, I might change my opinions compared to a few years ago.

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
1,585 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best pub?

I agree Roj,the Kingsbridge has so much potential but we did not enjoy our experience there....The Duke all the way!!...

Reply to: Best pub?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bourton-on-the-Water