We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Hi all,

Some friends are planning a night out in Cheltenham. I can't be around flashing or strobe lights, so I usually head back early or skip the night out all together. However, I love to dance, so I thought try to find out if there happened to be a more low key place in Cheltenham where there is music and dancing but more natural light. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KAK

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Try thirteen degrees (Thirteen) on St Georges Road. This has a dance floor downstairs but there are a couple of room upstairs where you can swing without the lights.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Are you unable to cope with the strobe lighting then? If this is the case, I'd believe a lot of nightclubs do use it, so I would recommend phoning ahead to check, as they might be able to give you advice on which areas use such lighting, if you can't cope with strobes then just be weary with the theatre some plays may use it so check ahead.

Maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Thanks for the replies -- I'll look into Thirteen and maybe give some other places a call as well. Thanks for the tip on the theatre as well!

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Hopefully someone else can help me out as I've not been for a while... Subtone has a piano bar upstairs which is good and lively and usually has a lot of people dancing to a guy playing various tunes on a piano. It depends if that's your thing. I don't think you'd have a problem with the lights in there. Avoid downstairs though! However, I can't remember if you'd need to go through any flashing / strobe lights to get to the upstairs.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

On the subject of Strobe lighting that reminded me, a good few audio/visual experiences at attractions use them to, throughout the UK, I can't remember which but there's a good few.

Maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

Thanks for the tip on Subtone. I'd rather dance to normal deejayed music, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers! It's something to consider. I can walk through flashing lights briefly, but not full on strobes. I'll have to investigate that further.

Yep, I've come to find over the past few years that quite a few things that you'd never expect feel the need to use strobe lights!

UK
Level Contributor
267 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

21 Club should be OK for you. Friendly place, free entry and no strobes from what I recall.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 22:37
8. Re: low key place to dance w/ no crazy lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15