We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Hi hope someone can help.I am organizing a 90th birthday event for my mum and a few elderly but spritely relatives.We will all be staying at the Holiday Inn Cheltenham town centre (which is close to a place called The Brewery shopping mall).Can any one recommend a lovely venue for a high tea or early dinner (the oldies like to put their feet up by 9pm) not too far from here.All suggestions gratefully received.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

The only place I can think of where you might be able to get high tea in Cheltenham would be the Queens Hotel. It's about 1/2 mile from where you are staying, overlooking Imperial Gardens.

You would need to check to see if they actually do 'high tea' as it isn't commonplace any more. There is certainly nothing similar to the Betty's Tea Rooms of York and Harrogate.

For early dinner, there are a number of restaurants in the Brewery complex.

UK
Level Contributor
269 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

21 Club should be OK for you. Friendly place, free entry and no strobes from what I recall.

The Daffodil does afternoon tea too.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 22:43
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Thank you for the info,very gratefully received.It is difficult to know what places are like when you come from outside the area but at least I have a few options now.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

More info on the Daffodil afternoon tea available here.

http://www.thedaffodil.com/dining-room.html

The Daffodil is roughly 1 mile from where you are staying.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Have a look at these:

www.thehoteluk.co.uk/parkers-restaurant.aspx

Just around the corner from where you are staying, a regency house on Pitville park that does lovely food incl High tea. Also consider the Storyteller (for early dinner), close to hotel, lovely restaurant with a "wine room" rather than a wine list. This is more casual dining but is 5 mins walk from hotel.

http://www.storyteller.co.uk

The Daffodil also lovely (above).

christinaanne068
Level Contributor
79 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

For High Tea try Hotel du Vin, The Queen's Hotel (yes they still do it), Montpellier Chapter, Montpellier Brasserie - these are in the town centre/Montpellier district and a little way from where you are staying and all have websites with details on what they provide in the way of tea.

Cafe del Art in The Courtyard in the town may also be an option (they have a website too). They do their own patisserie but not sure about a traditional afternoon tea. I think one of the hotels would be your best bet for comfort.

If you google "What's on in Cheltenham" or Cafes in Cheltenham you will find lots of links there - usually with map/directions etc.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the restaurants in The Brewery itself as they appear to cater to younger customers who are out for the evening and going to the cinema within the complex (nothing wrong in them just think they are not "age appropriate" for your party but I may be wrong!).

Have a lovely time

cheltenham
Level Contributor
282 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

I can really recommend the daffodil for afternoon tea, its a restored art deco cinema and beautiful. Plus on the 2 occasions I had tea there, there was a jazz band.

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Last advice from me! Opposite your hotel is The Brewery. This is an old Brewery converted mainly into a cinema and restaurants. These are restaurant chains, Frankie and Bennies, La Tasca, etc. If that takes you fancy you cant get closer, but if you want to impress, Brasserie Blanc, Raymond Blancs brasserie, is just beside Queens Hotel and will do early dinners. Also, Jamie Oliver has a restaurant in the town centre (although this is also a chain).

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Brasserie Blanc is also one of a chain. There are about 20 of them around the country so don't expect to see Monsieur Blanc coming out of the kitchen.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: High tea or early dinner in Cheltenham.....

Thank you so much for your very informative suggestions.I'm sure we will find somewhere lovely in beautiful Cheltenham....there does seem to be a wide variety of places catering exactly for what we are looking for.