We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

The South (of the...
Level Contributor
463 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

What are your recs?

Cotswolds UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

If you want traditional English food you are more likely to get it in Pubs than restaurants,the best of which tend to serve more classic international dishes these days. In Stow I would recommend the Eagle and Child which is part of the Royalist Hotel and claims to be the oldest in the area. Nice atmosphere and good food. At least it was last time I ate there, but these places change chefs quite often and can be completely different. If you are coming in the summer suggestions made now might be irrelevant.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

I too can agree on the Eagle and Child pub for a very good lunch. We toured the Cotswalds on July 6, 2006 and stopped in Stow-on-the-Wold to have a bite. The advert stating it was the oldest in England caught our eye and the menu looked very good. And it was. The waitstaff were very good, the sandwitches were exceptional. My son and I had the Smoked Chicken, Bacon and Onion and it was superb. My wife had the Prawn and Avacado and our dear friend had the minute steak and all were raved about. My daughter tried the "Traditional" sandwitch of Cheddar Cheese and it was not quite up to the others, but she enjoyed it as well. All were on the brown bread that seemed to be locally made. We had a great meal, in a wonderful place.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

There must be about 1000 pubs in Britain which claim to be the oldest - take this claim with a VERY large pinch of salt!

The Eagle and Child is quite nice though. I don't think you'll find it hard finding a good place to eat in Stow, the town is very much oriented towards the top end of the tourist market

4. Re: Yummy, Typically British, Charming Restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 06:29