We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

I have seen some beautiful pics of fields of lavender and poppies in this area. Can any one tell me what time of year these are in bloom so that we can coordinate travel arrangements for that time?

Thank you.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

Oh, fancy this! I took someone to the lavender farm just yesterday, on our tour of the Cotswolds! The best time to go, apparently, is between June and up to mid-August when they start harvesting. Yesterday, the fields were bare, really - just a little bit of grey-purple left by the shop/tea-room.

It's just outside Snowshill, so a car is a must. It's a small set-up really, but you can buy lots of lavendery goods that you know are home-grown and authentic. I came away with some home-made lavender scones which were really tasty.

There were some gorgeous large prints of purple fields, and the shop ladies said it really does look that good! I'm certainly planning to go back next June/July to see it!

2. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 13:52
Calgary
Level Contributor
46 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

Thank you for your prompt response. Looks like they choose to bloom during peak tourist season rather than the more economical shoulder season. :-) May have to miss it unless it is early June.

Didn't realize that poppies were a weed in this region. Guess that a farmer let them go in the picture I saw.

Edited: 17 September 2010, 01:26
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

I can't say about the lavender and I don't remember seeing poppies, but I walked three days in the Cotswolds last year the very first part of June. There were roses in the gardens and wild roses in the hedgerows, plus valerian, Queen Anne's Lace and what might have been buttercups, so you wouldn't lack for flowers even at that time! Plus, the lambs are at their cutest, little fluffy things with pink ears. . . :-)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,886 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

Hmmm. As a side note, but vnrose reminded me... does anyone know where one might find Cotswold Lions? (I kid you not).

All the sheep I saw the other day looked like - well - ordinary sheep.

6. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2015, 13:51
Edited: 06 November 2015, 13:51
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
916 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

Could someone tell me what would be in bloom in September? We're looking at a walking trip through the Cotswolds area next year. Here we have wild aster, phlox and the fall leaf colors to enjoy. Anything similar to enjoy in this area?

8. Re: Lavender & Poppy fields around Winchcombe & Broadway

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2011, 06:29
Get answers to your questions about Winchcombe
Recent Conversations
More Winchcombe Topics