We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

genuine cottage found on facebook ??

10 posts
Save Topic
genuine cottage found on facebook ??

Can someone help does anyone know if this is a genuine cottage in the new forest all looks beautiful but no reviews on it

http://forestgetaway.simdif.com/

Would be very grateful for some advice

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

I don't *know* that it's genuine but it does look to be so if it was me I would probably take the chance. I guess it's new since there are no reviews.

I can't see any scammer setting all that up, (there's a lot of local knowledge there), when they could instead more easily offer a London apartment by ripping off some estate agents pictures and get hundreds more enquiries.

10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

Seems that way to us too. Its just we would be travelling a long way with two young children so was panicking a bit .. theyve not asked for a deposit either but have said they will get in contact closer to the time for payment and to arrange keys.

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

Seems that way to us too. Its just we would be travelling a long way with two young children so was panicking a bit .. theyve not asked for a deposit either but have said they will get in contact closer to the time for payment and to arrange keys. Which if it was a scam surely they'd ask for deposit and or payment asap

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

Do you know how they want payment?

Anyway, the amount they charge is so low that if its a scam its a pretty poor one, for 10% of the effort they spent on that page they could have a London one that would rake in 10x as much by 10x as many people. Plus surely they would have taken some trouble to put some reviews in if it was fake?

Sometimes you have to take a chance, this would seem to be a worthwhile one. Worst case drive into Bournemouth or Southampton which is only 30 min away and find a hotel.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:02
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,837 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

The phone number on the webpage belongs to W.G. Wilson @ Sons Builders..so quite reasonable to assume that they actually refurbished the cottage..I think it is genuine

http://www.wgwilsonbuilders.mobi/

Edited: 06 July 2014, 15:05
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

Looks pretty good then... fingers crossed it all works out fine thanks guys ! :)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

It looks like the cottage is very close to the middle of Fordingbridge..you can see it via google maps... if you stay there you will need a car... Fordingbridge is not very big, and you are close to the North part of the Forest. I have walked around Fordingbridge and around the area lots of time...

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

It looks genuine to me. I used to work in Fordingbridge, its very pretty and near some lovely places by car. Local people tend to know one another well and are very friendly so why not call The Caxton Hardware shop in Fordingbridge (the cottage is behind the shop) and ask them. Villagers would recommend places to stay if it was a scam.

9. Re: genuine cottage found on facebook ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:15