We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for 2 nights

Norwich
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for 2 nights

Will be leaving Chard, to visit Portsmouth Historic Dockyards in August around 20th. Any ideas of where to stay somewhere scenic, but with car parking facilities. We will use the park and ride, to visit the museum as we did that last year. Any suggestions on what else we could visit too would be appreciated. A National Trust, or town maybe? Not familiar with this area at all. Thanks.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

Hi Debbie. good to hear from you. Your parameters would, as you suggest, tend to mean a town or City outside Portsmouth and bearing in mind that you are coming in from Chard perhaps Winchester or Petersfield would be worth a look. Winchester is a very historic City, but is thirty miles from here, perhaps thirty five minutes by car. Petersfield is somewhat nearer, seventeen miles and I would say a drive of less than twenty five minutes. The good news is that in both cases, the roads are either motorway or dual carriage right into the Park and Ride. Have a look at both on line. There are, of course, places just outside the City to simply stay which may cover your needs, but whilst picturesque there is little to see. Moving on past Portsmouth, Chichester is a great place and again accessed by direct dual carriageway. Enjoy checking out the options, hopefully others will come in with suggestions, and enjoy your two days with the Dockyard attractions which are excellent.

Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

There are a lot of places to stay , choose by reviews portsmouth is a great city , other places to visit depending upon what you like could include Winchester ( cathedral parks shopping eating ) and Chichester is for the same reasons but equally nice and easy to drive to Winchester has park n ride , I don't think Chichester has

Norwich
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

Many thanks for your help. Will look up those places.

Southampton
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

I have fond memories of dear old Pompey, I was brought up there in the 40s until I married and moved to The New Forest in the early 70s

There are so many attractions to be found in Portsmouth, the Historic Dockyard is only the tip of the ice berg.

Finding somewhere scenic to stay however could be a challenge, if its just for a couple of nights I would chose the Queens Hotel which has commanding views across the Solent to the Isle of Wight.

It also has the advantage of being central to many coastal attractions that are easy walking distance across the common and through the rock gardens.

Busses stop right outside the hotel every 9mins and only take 8min to reach the Dockyard.

If you fancy fish and chips I recommend The Still and West at the Point Broad Street Old Portsmouth

From here you can almost touch the ferries entering and leaving Portsmouth harbour, it is an area steeped in history, check out Southsea Portsmouth on google maps and discover all the coastal attractions surrounding The Queens Hotel, have a great time

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
8,791 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

if you are visiting Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, then here's somewhere very close to your route out of the city that's worth a visit if you are into castles...

english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,698 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

There are plenty of places near the Historic Dockyard. Have a look at The George (frequented by Charles Dickens) tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186298-d1809… also check out reviews of The Lady Hamilton tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186298-… If you want modern there are some budget chains like Ibis and Premier.

7. Re: Where to stay for 2 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2018, 07:18