We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re ferry to Caen

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re ferry to Caen

I see on the Brittany Ferries website that a free breakfast is served in the Commodore cabins but they are a lot more expensive than regular cabins. Does anyone know if you can have it served in the other cabins for a price? If not, I assume it is served in the restaurants, but I was wondering if it was very crowded and hard to eat there. Is it a full English or a continental breakfast?

Also, how far in advance should we book for an overnight ferry on a Tues night in June? We are basically locked into our dates by other hotel reservations, but I didn't know if the cabins sold out or if the price was better in advance. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

Breakfast is available in the self-service cafeteria or the restaurant. From memory, prices in the restaurant are around £7 for continental buffet or £9 to add a cooked berakfast to teh buffet. Buffet includes cold meats, fruit , cereals, bread pastries, cheese. If you want to fill up this is better value than the self-service and much less hectic.

It is difficult to tell you when to book at they operate yield management pricing so prices can go up or down.

Would only recommend Commodore for day crossings as overnight from Portsmouth will only give you a few hours sleep

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

Sorry, to answer your other question, I think the only other cabins with breakfast is the Club 4 PLUS cabins.

The breakfasts served in the cabins are not large. I seem to remember it is a small basket of pastries, juice, bread, jam, butter, fruit . If you like a larger breakfast I would go for the main restaurant.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

Thanks for the quick response. I am currently getting a price of 133GBP for the standard outside cabin. Does this seem high, low, or average?

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

I don't think the cabin prices get lower over time, they just sell out. The price you have been quoted is what I would expect.

I wouldn't bother about breakfast, you will dock at 6am (5am UK time) which means they wake you up at 5am (4am UK time) by playing piped music into your cabin. Personally, I never feel like eating at that hour. Once you're off the boat, almost any cafe in France will be able to sell you a decent croissant and a chocolat chaud which will be superior to what you will get on the boat.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

Thanks for the help. Just in case anyone else is looking at this sometime, I got a response from Brittany Ferries that breakfast is only served in the Commodore Cabins and it is continental. For those of you who have been on this ferry, is there anyplace to eat around the ferry port? I don't remember anyplace right around the train station in Caen (although you could get sandwiches in the station), and it seems like a long time to wait until we get to Bayeux.

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

The ferry arrives around 6.45 and we have found that cafes are often not open then, bakeries seem to open around 7.30 to 8.

Another option is to buy pastries in the UK and then get coffees from the drinks machines which are situated in the corridors near the cabins.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

There are several cafes/bars just opposite the main entrance od Caen Station.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

Thanks. I understand there is a shuttle from the ferry port to the train station in Caen. Is it pretty obvious where to go when you get off the ferry? Thanks again.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

It will be - you get off the ferry in Caen into what is, in effect, a car park! I can recall seeing buses waiting there - I guess that was the shuttle!

10. Re: Questions re ferry to Caen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 07:16