We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
rental cars

We are kiwis who are arriving in portsmouth in August. We need to rent a car and we want to return it to London, in late August. Our trouble is we are having difficulty picking up a car in Portsmouth and returning it to London. I have tried many sites and am mainly having trouble with each firms' web page. Many default to Portsmouth as our return site and as soon as I change that to London it is changing the pickup to London.

I notice that Europcar has a pickup "on the hard". Is this close to where the fast ferry from Caen would be coming into.

Also we need a "nice" B and B suggestion and also must see places to visit in this area.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars

"I notice that Europcar has a pickup "on the hard". Is this close to where the fast ferry from Caen would be coming into."

You would arrive at the Continental Ferry Port, it's around 2 miles from The Hard. As I remember the Europcar office is almost opposite the bus terminus on The Hard.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars

As this is all a mystery to us. What rental car companies are near our ferry terminal, although I guess we could get a taxi. Do taxi companies meet the ferries.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars

According to the ferry port website, there is a taxi rank at the main terminal:

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/faqs

Looking at yell.co.uk it looks like Europcar and National are the closest to the ferry port as they are both on The Hard.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars

Thanks very much for that information.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars

Hi,

Link to most car rentals in Portsmouth. with phone numbers and emails.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=car+rental+portsmouth&ie=UTF8&hq=car+rental&hnear=Portsmouth,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.823072,-1.081467&spn=0.09738,0.308647&t=h&z=12

I think most will offer to pick you up from the ferry port.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars

Thank you very much. I ll follow that up.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars

Just came across your question. On our first evening in Portsmouth we strolled along the old walls to the round tower - still night, full moon. Wished we were in our twenties again! The next day we visited Gunwharf Quays and took the ride up the Spinnaker Tower (splendid views on a brilliantly sunny day). Not to be missed on a good day. Then a cruise around the harbour to see an array of naval vessels in this great port. Nelson's Victory was on our list, but it was undergoing renovation at the time of our visit about a year ago so we missed out.

For lunch we walked around to the Bath Square area - maybe ten or fifteen minutes - to where we had spotted some olde worlde pubs from the tower and the cruise. Worth the walk. This is the area where the sailors gathered before and after voyages - for those returning, it was to enjoy their first bath for a while - hence Bath Square. We had fush and chups at the Still and West Country House pub - outside on trestle tables right next to the harbour. There is quite a pleasant restaurant with a serious menu inside as well, but who can say no to sunshine in Portsmouth? The pub across the road is the Spice Island Inn - so no shortage of dining out, if the crowds are in.

Hope you get the weather to enjoy this interesting old port city.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 09:01
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars

They came in Aug 2011

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars

Ah - so they did. We just missed them!

Still, framing my response did get me to go back through my photos. I enjoyed the reminisce - we had a lovely time in Portsmouth.

Anyone else contemplating a visit to Portsmouth - feel free to avail yourselves of our experience. No charge ;-)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars

Thank you for yr reply to my request. Yes we did travel in 2011 and really loved Portsmouth, but we did not have fush and chups. Joy

Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth
Recent Conversations