We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking at the continental ferry port

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking at the continental ferry port

This is more of a complaint than a question. I parked for 5 days in the multi storey CP at the Continental Terminal. When I returned to collect my car, both payment machines were out of order, the attendant had no card machine and the only way to pay was in cash. As I do not carry large sums of cash (£50 - which is also an outrageous price, I feel, but that's another story), it meant returning to the Terminal to withdraw money from the cash machine there. For a young woman passenger with a small child and luggage, this was not a very acceptable option at 8pm. Fortunately, I was able to pay by cheque which saved me the trek back to the Terminal.

Surely with the amount they charge, which is much higher than at the IoW ferry port, they could afford to maintain the payment machines..

Jose Penrose, Woking

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

You could of parked on the public highway somewhere for free, and got a taxi to the port. I don't consider £0.42 an hour to park a car that outrageous.

You could always point your complaint to the ferry port or the company that runs the car park..

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

It is considerably a higher cost than you would pay to park at an airport for a whole week, which would include a shuttle bus to your terminal.

I have been unable to find the name of the company who run the car park - it was my original intention to complain to them.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

You could try here

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/contact_us

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

Thanks, I have sent them an email. I thought the car park was independently operated.

Portsmouth UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

If you decide to park in the surrounding streets (which I don't recommend as the area opposite the port is not the safest!) just be pay attention that it is not resident parking only...

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

Thanks, I probably would not consider street parking but maybe at the IoW ferryport which seems to be much cheaper. We do try to use the train (which is also cheaper) but not always good for later returns.

Swansea, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

I am driving down to portsmouth with two bikes and want to park my car then get the ferry to Le Havre.

Is there free parking somewhere safe where i could leave the car for 12 days. I can cycle to the ferry so am fairly flexible where I can park.

I've noticed Haslar marina is a 24/ 7 car park. Is this a fairly safe environment to park ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

I replied to your other post Graham5200

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

I think Haslar is on the other side of the water - you'd have to get a ferry across. Maybe look at Port Solent.

10. Re: Car parking at the continental ferry port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:17