We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

Hi everyone, I decided to travel out to Portsmouth today and will arrive there at around 11:30 AM.

I am interested more in scenic landscapes and fresh, healthy air, so I was thinking whether I should visit Isle of Wight after the couple of boats and wharfs in the city.

Do you think I could visit something useful on Isle of Wight if I take the hovercraft to Ryde, e.g. will I make it in time to see the dinosaur fossils and footsteps?

I need to be back in London by the end of the day, max. midnight.

Thank you!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

I wouldn't go to the Island today - there is a big pop festival and the ferries back will be very busy this afternoon and evening with travel needing reservations.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

Good point there - you would be very tight to get to the Blackgang Chine coast and back, even without the IOW Festival underway. It's also been so wet - you may have problems getting round the island - buses are virtually the only way round and take quite a long time.

I'd stick with the day in Gun Wharf Quays/Historic Dockyard myself - weather dependent.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

There is more than enough to do and see in Portsmouth for one day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

If you like biking:

"Fly" to Isle of Wight (Ryde) from Portsmouth on a hovercraft (www.hovertravel.co.uk). Journey takes only 10 minutes. Then hire a bike from TAV Cycles in Ryde (www.tavcycles.co.uk) and cycle to Shanklin via Bembridge and Sandown. Visit Shanklin Chine, relax by the sea and do not miss great seafood.

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

Ultimately I stayed a bit longer than expected at Portsmouth but took the hover to Ryde at around 3:30 PM.

Took the bus to Sandown and spoke to locals, explored the dinosaur excavation site (though didn't have the equipment to look for them myself), but really enjoyed walking along the coast.

Was back in time for the last hovercraft back.

All pretty smooth to be honest.

I enjoyed Portsmouths' fortresses and seafront, but I guess that I will return to Isle of Wight to see the rest of the scenery another day.

Am back in London at 2 AM :-)

SA
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

I agree 100% that there is "more than enough to do and see in Portsmouth for one day", but if you are "interested more in scenic landscapes" then it has to be the IOW. Btw, if you buy a return Hovercraft ticket, they'll throw in a free return train trip with unlimited stops from Ryde to Shanklin.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

they went back in June

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

Thanks anyway.

9. Re: Portsmouth + Isle of Wight 1 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 21:19