We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Hi,

I need to get from Portsmouth to Plymouth on a friday in November (around noon) , returning on the sunday (evening).

It seems the train will take 3.5 hours, with a change or 2 and cost about £57 return)

I could hire a car which would be roughly £50, but then there is petrol and extra insurance to hike up the cost.

Are there any other convenient ways to do this trip? I have checked Mega bus, and there doesn't seem to be a way...

No ferries either it seems.

Any suggestions would be great!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Ferry - easy - hop across to France and back........

More seriously, you can probably do it by national Express coach for a bit less than that rail fare. It takes 7 hours plus and on all but one direct trip a day involves travelling via London.

And you can do it by megabus/train - megatrain to London then megabus to Plymouth. It's far too early for their schedules though. - think 6 weeks ahead.

TBH stick to the train

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

The easiest way of doing this is to take a train from Portsmouth to Westbury, then another from there to Plymouth.

This would take about 4 hours in total but it looks like if you booked early enough, you could get advance tickets for about £20 each way.

Phil-the-Bus

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Thanks for the replies.

Phil-the-bus: This seems a good option, buying 2 singles there, and 2 sinlges back, it works out at £67 (at the times I want), so a feasable option!

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

One other quick question....will the train to Westbury be packed (2ish on a Friday afternoon)?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,064 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

>>One other quick question....will the train to Westbury be packed (2ish on a Friday afternoon)?<<

You would hope not, but sometimes it is a 2 carriage train packed with backpackers going on holiday to the west country who are all changing at Westbury. Once you change you will likely be on a much bigger train and it's better.

Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

We will be staying in Portsmouth for 5days in Nov. I would like to visit Penzance for a day. Is this doable or just a pipe dream. I assume the train would be the best means of travel. Thanks for any help.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Brian,

best to start a new thread with your question, not resurrect an 8 month old one.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

It's a journey of between 6 and 7 hours each way depending on which train you get. So not really suitable for a day trip!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

Its 240 miles each way

Just enough time to buy an ice cream before heading home.

Your have plenty to do in the Portsmouth area to do.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport between Portsmouth and Plymouth

A ex-matelot mate of mine set off from Gosport to drive to Weymouth for an half marathon.

He got to Fareham and onto the M27 at Jct 11, and then the A27.

It wasn't until he got to past Chichester that he realised he was heading to Worthing!