We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

West Chester...
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

I am arriving on a cruise ship at Southampton early on a Sunday morning. I wish to visit Portsmouth on my way to London (Gatwick). I have the entire day available to me at Portsmouth since my flight does not depart until the next day.

Do I specifically request a rail ticket from Southampton to Gatwick via Portsmouth Harbour since that is not the customary journey path? The online rail booking sites appear to allow me to purchase such a ticket.

Do I need to request a ticket that permits me to break my journey in Portsmouth or will any off peak day single ticket permit me to break my journey?

May I combine my via Portsmouth Harbour - break of journey ticket with the South West trains days out Dockyards offer?

southwesttrains.co.uk/portsmouth-historic-do…

and may I also combine my ticket with the Plus Bus feature for Portsmouth?

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…

Do I need to specify the time of travel, or may I depart Portsmouth on any train to Gatwick whenever I have completed my visit?

The helpful people at the Visitor Information Service office in Portsmouth have found a location for me to leave my luggage during my visit.

Any advice and suggestions are welcomed.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

You need to ask for a single to Gatwick Airport via Barnham (which is a station en route) .The other route takes you via Clapham Junction at greater cost - that assumes you don't want to travel that way.

It somewhat surprises me, but it's valid via Portsmouth Harbour and AFAIK is valid for break of journey. (An anytime ticket at only 10p more certainly would be)

The Portsmouth dockyard ticket is a grey area - as you are doing something out of the ordinary. They may or may not be willing to sell you it.

The plus bus ticket - officially no but they still might sell it

You don't need to specify a train - it's valid on any train that day

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

"Do I need to specify the time of travel, or may I depart Portsmouth on any train to Gatwick whenever I have completed my visit?"

On a Sunday, any train ticket you buy that day is valid for all trains on that route that day

There aren't that many direct trains from Portsmouth to Gatwick. During busy times, you probably need to change (usually at Brighton), and you'll probably find that Offpeak rates aren't available for routes via Guildford early the following morning.

On a Sunday morning, the likelihood is that the ticket seller at Southampton will be delighted to talk you through the options. 99.999% of them take positive pleasure (except when there's a queue of potentially irate commuters behind you) in working out how to save a passenger quite tiny amounts - and a slightly larger proportion still will be delighted to help the one cruise passenger in a queue of other cruisers asking an interesting question.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,130 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

Plusbus is only available at origin and destination stations, not at intermediate ones.

You also cannot 'cheat' and buy a PORTSMOUTH to PORTSMOUTH PLUSBUS ticket as the Plusbus ticket must be from/to 'somewhere else'. However there will probably be a local day ticket available from the bus driver for about 50p more than the Plusbus addon cost.

The Portsmouth Dockyard rail ticket will probably be issued as to PORTSMOUTH DOCKYARD, so also cannot be used at intermediate stations and is probably incompatible with Plusbus.

West Chester...
Level Contributor
62 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

Please explain how the ticketing process will work for me.

Will my ticket have a specific written endorsement that it is good via Portsmouth Harbour?

Will I receive two ticket documents, one to be used from Southampton to Portsmouth Harbour and the second to be used from Portsmouth Harbour to Gatwick Airport, or will I have one ticket that I retain for use on both journeys?

May I purchase a "via Portsmouth Harbour" ticket from a machine or must the purchase be made from an a ticket seller at the station?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

You will receive one ticket from Southampton to Gatwick. It will be marked route Barnham.

You can buy it from a machine but it might be difficult to find on the machine - easier to use the ticket office. Just ask for a single to Gatwick via Barnham. It opens at 0630 on a Sunday

6. Re: Southampton to London via Portsmouth by rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:15