We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

I am about to book a Train from Portsmouth but I don't want to miss the train. I am trying to book through megatrain. If we arrive in Portsmouth at 3:15 is getting a train at 3:50 to London to tight a time frame. How much time should I allow?? Thanks!!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

It depends on which ferry you are using. It would be OK if you are coming from Gosport, probable if you travel from Cowes, but more than tight if you are coming from France or Spain as there can be delays in disembarking and you would have to move pretty sharpish through the terminal to get a taxi to the station,

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

We are coming from Le Havre, France on the fast ferry, arriving in at 3:15 pm and thinking of getting the cheap train at 3:50. Or would we be best to book a later train? Thanks for your reply

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

The ferry terminal is not in central Portsmouth and it will take time to get off the ferry and get a taxi. I don't think you will catch a train at 3.50.

The nearer station to the Le Havre ferry is Portsmouth and Southsea, not Portsmouth Harbour.

There are trains every 30 minutes to London.

Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

Thanks, that is very helpful!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,758 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

You can book in advance on this route (and possibly get a cheaper fare by doing so), but you can also buy a ticket at the station on the day and travel on the next train out.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

theres only half a mile difference between the 2 stations, so if you have the time,

go from Portsmouth harbour you will get the seat that you want as its the first staion in the line, and its on the waters edge, so some nice viewing from there.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 22:59
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

You'll see Portsmouth Harbour train station on the way in on the ferry from Le Havre.

The ferry will run more or less parallel with Southsea seafront. You'll pass a funfair on the right and the ferry will then run fairly close to the promenade.

As the ferry enters the harbour mouth you'll see Spinaker Tower [unmissable] on the right.

Immediately after Spinaker is Portsmouth Harbour train station.

Agree with Dave that the harbour train station is a better option to the town station.

8. Re: Tick Tock between Ferry and Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:17