We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Fleet memorial

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
First Fleet memorial

Where is the First Fleet memorial located and is it walkable from the Historic Dockyard?

Apart from the sculpture and plaque is there any other structure or memorial in Portsmouth commemorating the sailing of the First Fleet?

Thanks,

CP

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Fleet memorial

Is this what you mean:

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:First_Fleet_Portsmo…

It has a rather unfortunate nickname. :-)

It's in Old Portsmouth, around a 20-25 minute walk from the Dockyard.

I'm not aware of any other memorial (doesn't mean there isn't one, maybe in the Naval Museum).

Edited: 29 June 2013, 19:32
Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Fleet memorial

Yep, that's the one. The only one as far as I know.

Where exactly in Old Portsmouth?

3. Re: First Fleet memorial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2016, 20:05
Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Fleet memorial

Now, that's exact! :-)

Thank you LancasterLad

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Fleet memorial

As you're walking towards the Square Tower, look up and you should see the bust of Charles II (unless they've removed it again).

squaretower.co.uk/square_tower_charles_1_bus…

Level Contributor
3,127 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Fleet memorial

I was born and brought up in Portsmouth and have walked past that thing a gazillion times and never knew what it was.

Incidentally there's now a designated walk around the historic bit of Old Portsmouth following a chain pattern in the pavement, if you're interested. Lots to see around there.

7. Re: First Fleet memorial

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 January 2016, 20:05
London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Fleet memorial

What's the rather unfortunate nickname? I'm intrigued now

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Fleet memorial

"What's the rather unfortunate nickname? I'm intrigued now"

When I lived in Pompey it was called the "bronze dog's turd".

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Fleet memorial

Haha - I lived in Pompey for 18 years (well, technically I didn't as I lived on the mainland over the hill..but still) and all those times I went to the Round Tower or the Hot Walls I have never heard it called that.

I'll be giggling everytime I see it now.