We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
435 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Hi, We are planning to visit Portsmouth for 1 day only. My husband would like to see the Mary Rose and the Victory. We only recently realised that due to the 70th Anniversary celebrations going on 6-8 June that this might be an extremely busy time. We don't have much choice on dates as we don't have a lot of time in England 4 days. I am wondering if we should change our plans. Also, if we do go should we buy tickets for these two attractions before we go, or would be it best to pay for the full day and only visit what we plan to see. I have looked at the website and its not really clear to me. Thank you.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Do you mean these celebrations:

groupleisure.com/News/Latest-News/Portsmouth…

Not sure if that will have a great impact on the number of visitors to the Dockyard for HMS Victory/Warrior/Mary Rose.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,048 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

It works out cheaper to buy the full site ticket than buying the single attraction tickets. If you buy online a lot of attractions have a fast track entry which cuts down on queuing on busier days.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

The full site ticket gives access to some of the smaller attractions which are fascinating in their own right. We visited for the first time last autumn and had an amazing day out. It's easy to spend hours there, and the Mary Rose and Victory are just incredible.

We booked early tickets for the Mary Rose and I was glad we did as the queues were long when we came out.

It's a really special day out, something you'll always remember. Don't change your plans!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

I'm not trying to put anyone off, but it's handy to be aware...

There's a lot of work going on in HMS VICTORY at the moment, and there's a limit to the number of visitors allowed onboard at any one time.

The quality of your visit might depend on the number of 'giggly' school or foreign student groups looking around at the same time as you.

There's also a lot of low headroom stair cases to negotiate whilst you are onboard.

While it might not have quite the same historical impact, HMS WARRIOR is fully open, is a lot bigger, and there aren't the same number of physical obstacles.

The main shop inside the Dockyard, which is on the right about 100 yards from the main gate is a superb place to empty your wallet on all sorts of stuff you'll be unlikely to buy elsewhere. There's also a interesting free museum inside the same museum. Also a restaurant and bar area.

Outside the Dockyard gate, about 50 yards on your left is the 'Ship Anson' pub. It serves up excellent pub grub, and the beers are reasonably priced.

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Hear hear to LancasterLad. HMS Victory is a wonderful ship and of national importance but for me HMS Warrior is by far the more interesting visit. If you have any sort of interest in maritime history, or even just in the lives of those who served, you could easily spend a couple of hours or so on board.

The Mary Rose is also extraordinary for its historical importance and the new museum, arranged with artefacts and finds, is really well set out with a great narrative. My advice would be to book in advance and buy a timed ticket for the Mary Rose so you can guarantee a visit slot that will be convenient to you.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Miles from home.

Thanks. Pompey Dockyard is one of my favourite places on earth.

I can remember HMS VICTORY being the only attraction there, and it was a freebie.

These days I sometimes think that the Dockyard Heritage Site has become a victim of its own success, and it's crawled over by far too many folk, many of whom are only there because the place is a tick-off box on their itinerary.

Last year I had a full year complimentary pass that I'd won, and made a point of looking around the Dockyard when foreign naval ships/submarines were alongside.

It was a real pleasure meeting like-minded people in uniform from far afield and listening to what they thought of the grand British Naval Heritage.

'Hearts of Oak are our ships, Jolly Tars are our men...'

Level Contributor
74 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

My Grandparents lived in Gosport at the outbreak of the war and my Grandfather (being a quick thinking fellow) decided that the home of the British Navy probably wasn't the best place to raise a young family so they moved up to Horsham. Summer holidays were spent at the Dockyard and around Old Portsmouth so the area means a lot to me. I may therefore be biased but, for me, this is one of the highlights of the South East. I take your point about the crowds and that may be why I prefer the Warrior as it rewards time spent aboard. The volunteers were excellent as well.

Play up Pompey.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

HMS Warrior actually lived in Hartlepool in the 1980s. Growing up there I have fond memories of going on board the ship every year on a school trip. We had to wear hard hats because it was under renovation (Hartlepool historic quay is still a fun day out, and perfect for all those people who post on here about how they don't want to see any other tourists).

I have not seen Mary Rose in the new exhibition yet but can't wait to go.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

The Mary Rose is amazing to see, far better than I expected it to be.

I also recommend the harbour tour. You book in at the booth, and you get to see far more naval ships.

Also the Victory and Warrior.

If you buy the all in ticket it's included in the price.

Well worth the money.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A couple of questions rVisiting Portsmouth on 10th June 2014

Old navy guy.

does anyone know how much these tickets are and what site i need to use to book them. I'm 85 years young and this will probably be the last time i visit Portsmouth. I'm going June 7-9 for the festivities/commemorations with my daughter and son in law. Cant wait. Any advice??