We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

I'll be in Portsmouth for 2 nights in early August. We are staying at the Florence Suite on Malvern Road. Most of what we plan to do we can do by walking -Historic Dockyard, Royal Marines Museum and the D-Day Museum. We are thinking about trying to also do Fort Nelson. I'm not sure if this is too much for 3 days and I also have a question about public transportation from the Florence Suite to Fort Nelson.

Any advice? thank you!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

According to the Royal Armouries website, there is no bus that goes up to the Fort itself.

I reckon your best bet would be a train from Portsmouth Harbour or Portsmouth & Southsea to Portchester, then get a taxi.

Some one who knows Portsmouth better than I do may be able to come up with a better idea.

portsmouth
Destination Expert
for Mayrhofen
Level Contributor
535 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

Get the train from Portsmouth to cosham station then taxi to fort nelson the taxi will be about £5 there is no public transport to fort nelson

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

Don't forget the RN's submarine museum in Gosport. The ferry takes 10 minutes at the most.

http://www.submarine-museum.co.uk/

Edited: 26 June 2014, 21:58
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

If you're only here for three days you'll probably not need to worry about getting as far as Fort Nelson, despite it being very good. The Historic Dockyard takes a day to do properly and with all the other attractions you'll be tired out. Fort Nelson will take you best part of an hour each way if you go by train and taxi and about 20 mis each way by taxi alone. So add that to the few hours you'll want to spend there you'll take up more than half a day of your stay there alone.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

Thanks everyone - yes, I think we will wish we had more time so we could do it all. I appreciate all of the good advice.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

If you do decide to go to Fort Nelson (via Portchester) - you may want to combine it with a trip to Portchester Castle - a medieaval castle within Roman Walls .... well worth a visit

7. Re: Fort Nelson by Public Transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:16