We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

We're looking for the easiest way to get to Southampton from Heathrow without spending a bundle! We're old and a little crippled up so lugging 3 bags to the bus and then the trains isn't a possibility anymore. Is there a transfer company based in SHampton that will pick up at Heathrow?

We're staying in a B&B walking distance to the train. We'll want to go to Winchester for one day and London for one day by train. How can I find a timetable that is simple to read/understand?

Also we are hoping to find something like a fair/festival in the area for 22, 23,24,25 September. Any ideas or suggestions?

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Although I have no personal knowledge of this company people on this forum speak well of them.

DJC:

Jo Jennings

DJC Private Hire

023 80465790

07818 023702

DJC4PrivateHire@aol.com

I find this link easy to use for trains southwesttrains.co.uk/plan-your-journey.aspx

Winchester is quick by train but a bit of a walk in from the station whereas the bus stops right in the centre so might be worth thinking about.

Wish I could help you with your last question but there's not a lot going on in Sept once the boat show finishes just before you arrive.

southampton.gov.uk/news-events/…home.asp

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I checked out the southwesttrains link and found Megatrain/Megabus information as well. This is a very good site with excellent pricing. I checked all the FAQ but my question wasn't addressed. I was wondering if this is just for UK citizens or visitors/tourists could use this as well? Do you happen to know?

I will also check out the bus schedule to Winchester. Thanks for that heads-up!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Hi, anyone can use Megatrain. The only thing is, you have to be certain you can catch the train time you book, as the ticket wouldn't be valid at other times.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Very good news! It is much cheaper as you probably know.

Now, still need to find that special event. It could be just a produce market or a great pub with some unique history and traditional or quirky food.

Thanks for the response.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

The BBC are filming Antiques Road Show at Winchester Cathedral but there is not much else listed for late September

wherecanwego.com/whatsonengland/…

There is a book fair at Lyndhurst and a steam traction engines near Fordingbridge explorethenewforest.co.uk/WhatsOn.htm#Sept

There is also a marathon in the New Forest and a sale of New Forest ponies http://www.lymington.org/whatson.html

Southampton, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Hi, here are some event web pages that might be helpful for your trip. There are also a couple of good theatres if you want some evening entertainment.

visit-southampton.co.uk/site/southampton-eve…

southampton.gov.uk/news-events/…home.asp

www.visit-hampshire.co.uk/site/whats-on

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Love the idea of the pony auction in the New Forest! We live in the country and have cattle and had had horses etc.

Can you get there by train???

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

Oh this is great too! We'll have 3 nights and don't want to just be sitting in the B&B looking at each other!

Where is your fav place to go for a drink or take-away or pub style food?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

The pony auctions are located right by Beaulieu Road station so easily accessible from Southampton.

www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf…

The station is right in the middle of the forest with only a small hotel and the pony sales nearby - the nearest villages are a couple of miles away,

There are number of walks you can take from the station, this link www.newforest.gov.uk/index.cfm… is for a 2 hour - 5 mile walk but you can Google to find longer or shorter walks.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making Southampton our Base for 3 nights

I amongst all the modern pubs on this link you wil find the likes of the Duke of Wellington, Bosuns Locker, Platform Tavern that still retain a sense of history.

www.schmap.com/southampton/nightlife_pubs/

A train to Brockenhurst is a nice trip, lovely village with some old pubs and fairly flat in the centre is walking is a little challenging. There are open top bus tours of the forest too but these stop around the 19 Sept.

This is a useful site too offering coach tours of the area with a registered guide

http://www.stga.org.uk/