We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for September trip

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for September trip

We are looking at 18 days + or - in the south/southwest of England. We've found a good train rover price, but looks like we can't get too many places by train. We've traveled all over the UK and Europe by train but it has been a few years since the last time

First of all, We are old - I have some mobility problems so steep steps are out. Also need a places to stay with a big enough shower - not one of the plastic boxes that I've nearly broken trying to get out(I'm 6'3" and 250 pounds)

Also on a budget (100 pounds or less if possible per night's lodging) (retired teachers)

This is what we are looking at (feel free to make suggestions and comments)

Flying into London

Southampton for 3 nights (have a room there)

(going to Wincester and Portsmouth while there)

Then We would like to go to Cornwall and stay somewhere around interesting sites for 3 days and then back to Bristol. We'd like to stay in Bristol 3 nights because there is a lot to see.

Then we'd like to go to Wells (no train to there) and stay 3 nights and visit Glastonbury from there, plus the Stanton Drew Circle. Without a car (I can't drive with my bad knee but I can walk ok!) how can we get to Stanton Drew Circle?

And then we'd like to go somewhere in Wales for 3 days, but are open to suggestions.

I know this is a mess and too long, but I'm new at this and would appreciate any help.

(Brahmama is my sweet little wife by the way)

thanks, Will

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for September trip

I hope you have received some ideas from the cornish forum. It's an area we love and visit regularly but always by car. You will be able to travel by train from southampton but expect to make a few changes a long the way.

Falmouth is lovely as it St Ives but it is very steep in places but a reasonably flat walk in from the train station there. The bus network throughout cornwall is good so once there it shouldn't be a problem getting around.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
746 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for September trip

KazpUk,

Thanks for your response to my husband's query! We did have a link for a B&B in Falmouth posted. We don't know where to base in Cornwall. We were in Falmouth in April, but only a stop from a cruise ship. We took a very fast look at the area in a van with 4 other people and really thought it was lovely - but tried to see too much and so saw little at all. Just zoomed through. Perhaps St. Ives might be a possibility too and we haven't been there. I guess the important thing is that it has decent train connections and that we can stay in walking distance of town or interesting sites. Where do you stay when you go to Cornwall?

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for September trip

We stay around St Austell as that is where my family are and its quite good for us as a base as we have the car. I'm sure once you have a look at the train websites you will be able to find a base. Personally we love St Ives and its easy to get into town from the station, walkable or with luggage a short taxi ride. The buses are good and regular so getting around should not present a problem and you should be able to book a coach tour which might suit given your short stay. Although I have been going since I was a child I am still discovering new places even at my age!

http://www.visitcornwall.com/

4. Re: Help needed for September trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 06:17