We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

florida
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

We'll be in Bath pre-cruise for 4 days in August. Would love to do a couple of hours of sight-seeing on way to ship (Salisbury?Stonehenge?) Transfer services that I've looked into in Bath seem awfully expensive. Someone on the Bath board suggested I try the Southampton forum. I'm not sure why rates might be cheaper that way, but I'd be grateful to be pointed towards a very reliable and not terribly expensive transfer/tour service.

Many thanks.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

There's a good train service direct from Bath to Salisbury (for Stonehenge) and on to Southampton. The website is

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/

But, depending on how many of you there are, if you check the one-way train fares, you may find that the transfer services' quotes look more reasonable, relatively speaking.

florida
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

Thank you for your response. We're "seniors" and will have too much luggage to try to negotiate on a train. At this point in our lives, we're happy still to be traveling, but we definitely need more taking care of.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

The simplest and cheapest way to travel would be by train.

A car transfer is going to be expensive because it is a two hour journey, with little likelihood of a passenger for the return journey. Add on waiting around while you sightsee and you have used up the drivers entire day.

Any of the Southampton taxi companies will quote for the journey but I don't know which would be least expensive.

Another option would be to rent a car and drive yourself.

http://compare.carrentals.co.uk will quote for one way journeys but on the cheapest quotes the one-way drop off charge won't appear until you click for more details.

florida
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

We are unable at this point in our lives to drive in a foreign country or to take public transportation when we're loaded down with luggage.

5. Re: car service and tour from Bath-Southampton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Southampton