We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Topic
P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

We have just returned from a cruise aboard Arcadia to Zeebrugge and Le Havre, on arrival at Southampton we were told the ship would not be going to Zeebrugge because of bad weather so we would sail overnight to Le Havre and stay there for two nights, but what they don't tell you is France shuts on Sunday's so there was nothing to do. We have since learnt by talking to the staff that the following cruise was not stopping there either, so why can't P & O be up front and inform their passengers beforehand. Once on board no rooms were ready, and when trying to ask a member of staff the reply was it's not my problem. The reason for booking this trip was to go to the Christmas Market (which was from Zeebrugge) so that didn't happen and to see Russel Watson who was the star turn, because it was so badly organised we got right to the front of the queue and they shut the doors because the theatre was full. They then put on another show for Monday night at 10-45pm bearing in mind you had to be up and out of your cabins by 8 o'clock next morning and your cases packed and outside your cabin by 11 o'clock so to travel home in the same clothes as the night before. Also the food was very poor in the Belvedere restaurant (the steak and kidney pudding were on for 3 days) the staff were very unhelpful they didn't clear the table so you had to do it yourself. There was no help at reception when we went to complain the staff there said it was down to the entertainment staff, but they made themselves scarce. Around the main swimming pool there was a leak so they put towels down to soak it up but it must have been leaking for a while because the black mildew stains don't appear overnight. We have sailed many times with P&O and are booked to go on Ventura in febuary and this far and away the worst service and don't careless attitude we have ever known. Hope to hear if anyone else suffered the same because there were a lot of people moaning.

1. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 December 2011, 14:08
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

You need to post this on the Cruise Forum and write a detailed letter of complaint to P&O although they couldn't be held responsible for the weather.

Edited: 06 December 2011, 13:13
Canada
Level Contributor
4,647 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

If you had looked at Cruise Critic prior to sailing you might have discovered that Arcadia gets mixed, but generally negative reviews...

cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/…

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

Ahhh -am I the only one here who finds things difficult to read without the odd paragraph ??

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

You need to post this on the Cruise Forum, maybe with the odd paragraph.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

barbexpat Post #4. No Barb you are not the only one here who finds things difficult to read without the odd paragraph.

I rarely if ever bother to read such posts any more, and I know I am far from alone. The last time I ( politely ) commented to this effect in a topic the OP tore me off a strip, suggesting that I should either get some sleep, or a pair of glasses. I already wear glasses to read

They also said that since this was a forum and they were not writing a novel they didnt see what the problem was. I won't bother again !!

Hull
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

My wife and I were on the same cruise, felt as though I had been mugged !! Paid over £1200 for 3 nights in a suite, food was undescribable. We had frozen peas one night in a so called 5 star restaurant, the night before we had boiled savoy cabbage. Badly prepared and ill conceived menues using second grade food. Best meal for me was a piece of calves liver which would have cost about 80p. An absolute disgrace I am demanding a substantial refund and will not use P&O again. At this rate they could be bought up by a holiday camp operator.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

It's only called a 5-star restaurant because that's how many you can see through the hole in the roof.......

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,299 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

Any chef will tell you that unless you actually just pick peas from your garden then frozen ones are about the best you can get. After 2 hours they start losing flavour. That's why you rarely see fresh pea pods in the shops.

Edited: 07 December 2011, 13:08
Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: P and O Arcadia Bad cruise

I started reading this but lost heart in the middle of all the blurb (like everyone else here, I do feel that paragraphs help us to read stuff, even in a bit of a rant!)

IMO P & O are not responsible for the weather or the sea conditions. However they are responsible for the safety of their passengers, crew and I suspect they would also like to keep their ship intact.

Perhaps they should have 'attempted' to go to Zebrugge after all, sunk mid channel, held up one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, drowned all their passangers and lost their business??

I don't think you would have enjoyed that very much!

As others have said, check & report on the Cruise Forum (so elusive), CruseCritic and draft a proper letter of complaint to P & 0.

It is kind-of OK to 'vent' here, but no-one here can help you!